Join now - be part of our community!

Infinite initial setup loop

SOLVED
aoriol

Infinite initial setup loop

Hello,

My 4K Sony (model KD-55X8005C) is stuck on the initial setup screen and goes back to the Welcome (the screen where you're asked to pick a language) screen in an infinite loop after choosing any of the two options on the Location (the screen where it asks you whether you want to share the location with Google) screen after I did a settings reset.

I've googled this issue and found many people who have experienced the same exact issue (see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9JFNk_ju0 & https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/Stuck-with-initial-setup-screens-on-my-Sony-Bravia-4k-A... & https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/45sw8t/sony_android_tv_saferecovery_mode/).

I have tried factory resetting the device (holding down the power button on the TV together with the up arrow on the remote control), installing a fresh firmware via a USB drive (it told me the firmware is already up to date and I couldn't find a way to force it to continue) but nothing seemed to work!

Is there a solution to this bug?

I bought this TV model KD65X8500C 2 days ago. After a new software update (PKG2.587.0017PAB), I did a Initial Setup once more because of this error message "google play service stopped unexpectedly" message came out often. This is when the nightmare began. Everything I tried to do the setup ...
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
angelacr

Dont confuse adb and fastboot. They are different protocols. Usually on a phone both are over USB; with Sony TVs  adb is wireless only. Fastboot is over USB. It does work but you'll need a cable that IS NOT DATA CROSSOVER. See my post (as Croques) here. It works.

The command you want is

fastboot -w

fastboot reboot

View solution in original post

97 REPLIES 97
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

What I suggest is:

• Turn off your internet connection modem router. Do not Power ON.
  • When in Language Screen just press the Home button.
  • Then do your adjustements from settings Menu

According to one of the US links you mentioned:

https://community.sony.com/t5/4K-Ultra-HD-TV/Stuck-with-initial-setup-screens-on-my-Sony-Bravia-4k-A...

there is a forum moderarator named DaveJ, that suggests a factory reset procedure by using a remote control procedure. I have not seen this before and I don't know if this works. He says :

With the TV ON:

1. Press Help button 5 times (slowly). TV will be in the Contact & Support page. If not press the Help button again until it goes to the Contact & Support page.

2. Press these buttons in following order (fast): RED, 4, 3, 5, 7, PLAY

3. The TV will be rebooted and [Factory data reset] is performed automatically.

4. After the setup, go ahead and update the PlayStore apps.

aoriol

Pressing the "Home" button doesn't work and neither does the factory reset procedure suggested by DaveJ 😞

Please help.

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi

"Slowly" as DaveJ says, does not work on an operating TV in order to access Help and Support screen.

I tried that with about one second of intervals and this worked. Did not go on for a reset though.

I really wonder where he found that procedure, which he also mentions on many US forum pages as solution to out of Settings factory reset.(with remote control buttons).

Also very strange is that there is no answer that this is a succesful solution.

Did also a search but have seen no other solution than a TV set replacement...

Contact Sony Support.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @aoriol

Have you managed to get anywhere with this?  If no, as MiCal1967 suggested above, contact Sony Support.  When others have had this problem, its a mainboard replacement.

Cheers

aoriol

Hi @Anonymous,

Sony Support were super unhelpful - "It has a UK warrantly only so you'll have to ship it back to us."

I managed to get into Service Menu and change NVM version to an old one (0009UKA) and the USB method sort of works -> http://i.imgur.com/LnAzm0m.jpg

Well, works in the sense that it upgrades for about half an hour and shows me this when it finishes -> http://i.imgur.com/879waRJ.jpg

I remove the USB stick as per instruction only to see the very same loop occuring -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf9JFNk_ju0

I would really appreciate if you could help me out with this one. I can't send it back since I've moved it to a different country and it's a huge pain in the ass to send it back and forth. The main board replacement on the spot costs as much as this piece of crap TV itself, so I've really ran out of options here...

Cheers,

aoriol.

I bought this TV model KD65X8500C 2 days ago. After a new software update (PKG2.587.0017PAB), I did a Initial Setup once more because of this error message "google play service stopped unexpectedly" message came out often. This is when the nightmare began. Everything I tried to do the setup ...
profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

Hi @aoriol

• Try to download firmware again and compare the pkg files. If your router modem error correction is disabled, this could be a bad download although file seems OK.
  • Also try NOT to login a Google Account. Your router modem MUST be OFF during the whole procedure.
  • What country was this TV previously setup? Use the language of that country and DO NOT enable location.
  • Remove batteries from your Touchpad Remote and DO NOT use it for selections. This is strange how this works after a factory reset.
  • Was there an option inside Service Menu to clear ALL cache? This could be critical if cache size is huge. I have seen cache files of  3.47GB !!!!
aoriol

• I'm quite sure the pkg files are correct and the flash drive is formatted in FAT32.
  • It doesn't give me an option NOT to sign in into the Google Account. I've logged out from the "View terms of service" pages, but it didn't help, it still logs me in correctly... Location is the last screen I'm getting stuck at - it throws me to the first screen, no matter what option I choose. It was set up in the UK, and I'm always choosing English.
  • I don't have a touchpad remote, just the standard one. Tried removing batteries and putting them back on.
  • There's no option inside Service Menu to clear cache, I'm afraid.

How come they didn't put an option in that menu to reset the TV to factory settings? I can't believe it.....

Any other ideas? 😞

Is there a way I can download the initial firmware it came with? There's only the last one (v3.473 19-07-2016) on sony.co.uk

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

One other option, if available in Service Mode, is to enable Developer Functions.

Then someone with Android Programming knowledge might be able to give some help.

If your account is not deleted then this means that there is not a Factory Reset through Service Mode. Just an Update.

About the Touchpad Remote, I think I saw that on your YouTube link at 0:54.

I can't think of something else.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In addition to what MiCal1967 says - can you tell us

• When did this problem start?  
  • Did you make any changes just before it happened?
  • What country are you now located in?

Cheers