Join now - be part of our community!

PS3 Won't Work on Sony Bravia KDL42W653

Capt.Servo
Explorer

PS3 Won't Work on Sony Bravia KDL42W653

Hi there,

I just purchased a Sony Bravia KDL42W653 and it's a fantastic TV, though I can't get my Playstation 3 to work on it through HDMI. The PS3 itself turns on, it's receiving power and whatnot, but it just won't display an image.

I CAN get an image through component cables.

The HDMI cable itself is fine as it works in other devices. I've even tried buying a new cable and that hasn't worked either.

The HDMI port on the TV is also fine, as I put other devices in there with no issues.

I've tried resetting the video settings by holding the power button down for five seconds, but that's made no difference.

I've tried unplugging everything and starting from scratch - also no luck. I've even tried formatting the PS3 itself to start fresh yet still nothing!

I've also tried running it through an HDMI switch first, but that has had zero effect.

Does anybody have any ideas about what I could try? I can't think of anything else to attempt here. The PS3 was working perfectly fine before I got this TV and I don't really want to buy a nice new TV only to use the PS3 through component!

Thanks,

Jon

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Capt.Servo wrote:

Hi there,

I just purchased a Sony Bravia KDL42W653 and it's a fantastic TV, though I can't get my Playstation 3 to work on it through HDMI. The PS3 itself turns on, it's receiving power and whatnot, but it just won't display an image.

I CAN get an image through component cables.

Hi there

Im assuming that you had your PS3 connected via composite on your old TV

I know you said that you did a power reset, but it appears that it didnt work, for whatever reason.  All I can say is try it again, and leave your finger on it for a little longer than 5 seconds.

If it still doesnt work, try this:

1. Connect PS3 up via component cables
  2. On the PS3 goto Settings > Display Settings > Video Output Settings
  3. Highlight HDMI and press the X
  4. If it asks you to change do so, and quickly change the cable over to HDMI (have a HDMI cable connected to the TV before hand - as it already prepared)

See:

http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

Cheers

Capt.Servo
Explorer

Ah right, no, on the old TV I used HDMI with no problems.

I've tried the settings reset thing about ten times in a desperate hope of getting it to work. Nothing 😞

I've done that sequence you've suggested and no image will display when I switch over to the correct HDMI channel.

Oddly, the PS3 DOES detect that the HDMI cable is there because the message stating that it's been detected does come up. When say ok and switch to the HDMI channel though, it's just a black screen. I've tried it in both HDMI ports.

Tags (1)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, ok

A couple of other suggestions:

• Plug the PS3 back into the old TV (and double check all display/video output settings - PAL/1080p) and plug back into new TV
  • Is the HDMI cable rather old? If so, try a newer HDMI cable (and even test another HDMI cable if you have one around)
  • If that fails - Do you have another device that you can connect to the new TV via HDMI?  This is to test that the HDMI ports on the TV actually work.

Its certainly interesting that its detecting HDMI cable, but not displaying output - Are you sure that your TV is set to the right HDMI input channel (as it if HDMI cable connected to HDMI 1 - that you are on HDMI 1?)

Edit: Also try setting the TV to GAME mode

If you google "PS3 detects HDMI but no picture" it brings up a heap of results, but cannot find a single fix.  The problem can lie in a multitude of things.

Capt.Servo
Explorer

Firstly, thanks for all the help! It's much appreciated. Anyway:

• I have already disposed of the old TV, sadly. It was working fine in there last week though, I had no issues with it at all. I got the new TV and they took the old one away.

• I've tried both old AND new HDMI cables. I bought a new one just this morning actually, hoping that would fix the issue. No luck 😞

• The port itself is definitely fine as I can use my PC, Sky TV box and Xbox 360 with no issues.

Oh and I'm definitely trying the right channels. I've tested it in both HDMI 1 and HDMI 2.

Such an odd issue, especially as they're both Sony products. The only things that I can think of now are either:

• The HDMI port on the PS3 itself has been damaged. It was perfectly fine last week when I last used it though, so this seems unlikely. I will be visiting family on Christmas Day, so I can take my PS3 over to try on their television.
  • The old TV I used could only go up to 1080i, not 1080p, so the PS3 was set up with this taken into account; perhaps this is having an effect. I assume that if this was the problem, however, that resetting the PS3 in the way I have would have dealt with this.

or

• The PS3 is an original launch model. Could this be an issue somehow?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh the PS3 Phat  :slight_smile:

I have googled/researched this issue for you a little, and Im basically out of idea's at this moment.  It could even be a HDCP issue.  I cannot see an issue with 1080i/p.  Test it on another TV anyhow.

The only other suggestion is to reset the PS3 completely (ie format) and loose all the contents etc.

I understand that you have posted this on the PS3 forums too.  Hopefully someone else may have another idea for you to try.

Cheers

Capt.Servo
Explorer

Ah yes, somebody mentioned this HDCP thing to me. The only thing people could come up with to try for that was to run the HDMI cable through an HDMI switch first, so I bought one of those and, again, no luck 😞

I'll wait until I can try this on somebody elses TV I think. I've reset all of the PS3 settings back to factory defaults and that didn't do anything, so the only other option is to completely wipe the HDD as well... but, obviously, I'd rather not!

kuwilso14
New

Had a similar problem when I went from an 3d LG tv back to my old panasonic it was something to do with the settings on the ps3 display section - also I now have a KDL42W653 and experienced this black screen problem - my ps3 wouldn't show any picture but the ps4 seemed to give a stronger signal although it was a flickering screen I swapped the hdmi cable and this seemed to work for me - I used the hdmi cable supplied with the ps4..

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

HDMI can be a funny beast on occassions - I've had issues with expensive cables and cheap cables, so its not necessarily a case of spending more money. 

rafoulk
Explorer

I don't know if you ever solved your problem with the PS3 fat and the black screen. 

Well it happened to me recently,  after my PS4 lost sound I decided to swap my PS3 into that position,  it gave only a black screen. I tried every combination including those Sony composite cables without success.

Clearly it was a firmware issue with that Sony TV,  so I stuck a Dr HDMI in line and it fixed the issue instantly with EDID.

They cost £55 at  www.hdfury.eu but it fixed both the PS3 black screen and my PS4 sound issue on that TV,  I have the same model TV in a different room, but didn't update the TV firmware on it and they both still work with that one.