Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Bravia TV EPG "no event information" on freesat

SOLVED
Solway
Explorer

Hi guys

Been trying to contact Sony via their web email support. the page endlessly loops on trying to send, no matter on what broswer i use. 😕 so here i am...

anyway

I have a Sony bravia TV KDL-42W805A.

I have recently cancelled my Sky package. so have been using the builtin freeview (aerial) for TV, which is all working fine.

However, i have decided to remove the freeview aerial and use the built in freesat tuner with existing Sky dish.

I can get over 800 channels with freesat. and the signal quality/strength is at the max. no issues there.

The issue im having is:

the EPG does not populate with information. all i get is "no event information". it will only appear once i view a channel. but im not flickering through 800 channels just to get the information to load

Because this don't load, it make the EPG completely useless

What am i doing wrong?

PS. the TV is not connected to the internet (yet) but has latest firmware update i think.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Skytime7
New

I too have got rid of my Skybox and using the sat dish and connection direct into my Sony Bravia. The way I use the TV guide now is to have an internet connection and select 'Guide' on remote, press 'Options', then scroll up to 'Launch Guide and Search'. Once this is selected a full program guide is displayed, it will give you all details of each program, cast/crew, related programmes and videos, option to record etc. This is powered through Gracenote and makes it a fully interactive EPG.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

180 REPLIES 180
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

No need to contact Sony Support on this - Ill try and answer this the best I can.

What you are experiencing is completely normal and cannot be resolved.  None of Sony's TVs are Freesat, only Freeview.  The names "Freeview" and "Freesat" are given because they are the brandings for the EPG.  Sony provides that satellite connection on the TV in the UK mainly because on the EU continent.  As there is no Freesat EPG, the channels are not in a logical order with no EPG.  You will get a "Now" and "Next" though when you individually click on that channel.

This of the Sattellite connection as an added bonus (as a backup), but other than that, you have to either connect an aerial to DTT services or connect your skybox to the TV as you can still use the skybox for freesat TV (you just cannot record or access recordings + PayTV services)

Cheers

Solway
Explorer

So it doesn't auto populate the EPG over sat?

i feel like ive been miss sold... 

or do i need to connect up the internet and freeview aerial to allow it to do this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Freesat is the branding behind the satellite EPG.  This TV and all of Sony's TVs are not Freesat - They are Freeview.  Therefore there is no proper EPG for satellite connections.  The EPG is for Freeview only.

Can I ask you a question though?  Were you sold this TV specifically for "Freesat" ? 

You will only need the internet and the "Freeview" aerial cable for the IPTV Channels in the 225 range on Freeview.  Connecting the internet to the TV, will allow you to have iPlayer, and YouTube and various other applications - which does expland on what the TV offers.

Cheers

Solway
Explorer

can't remember the sales pitch, but we brought it because it had both aerial and sat tuners. and the smart content apps like netflix.

if i knew the EPG didn't work right on satellite i might of looked for a freesat and freeview tuner.

seriously tho. how hard is it for sony to add a feature to the firmware to query the (now and next) listing on every channel? instead of me flicking through to get it to populate. or a way for the tv to get the listings via internet...

only reason the tv is not connected to the net at the moment, is ive been waiting for my new fibre connection to activate.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I have had a little dig around and the only manufacturer that offers Freeview and Freesat built into the TV are from Panasonic.  If you believe you have been miss-sold, I would strongly advise you speaking to the retailer you purchased it from.  After all, you are the one that needs to be happy with the product.

However, If you like the TV, you could always add an additonal Freesat Box to the TV instead.  More information is available on the Freesat website : www.freesat.co.uk

Cheers

Skytime7
New

I too have got rid of my Skybox and using the sat dish and connection direct into my Sony Bravia. The way I use the TV guide now is to have an internet connection and select 'Guide' on remote, press 'Options', then scroll up to 'Launch Guide and Search'. Once this is selected a full program guide is displayed, it will give you all details of each program, cast/crew, related programmes and videos, option to record etc. This is powered through Gracenote and makes it a fully interactive EPG.

Hope this helps

janetthebus
Explorer

Many thanks for this information - it is the icing on the cake for my new TV! I, too, was disappointed that it was not FreeSat, but this substitute seems to do the trick. :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Skytime7 

Thank you for posting this, this is an excellent tip :slight_smile:

Much appreciated!

Cheers

Solway
Explorer

I cant find the option. Tv all hooked up to net. If there any other settings?