Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KD49X8305C - ARC and Bravia Sync - Sky Q or Firmware issue?

SOLVED
whoisthebaron
Explorer

Sony KD49X8305C - ARC and Bravia Sync - Sky Q or Firmware issue?

Hi all

I'm hoping someone can help me pinpoint an issue in my setup that has emerged this week...

My home entertainment setup was as follows:

TV - Sony KD-49X8305C

Receiver - Sony STR-DN860

BR Player - Sony BDP-S550

Satellite - Sky+ HD

BR and Satellite plug into Receiver and Receiver connected to TV via HDMI 4/ARC.

I've been using the Kodi app on the TV to play video streamed from a NAS. Everything was working great, the TV passed surround sound via ARC to the receiver when using Kodi, and the receiver played surround sound from the Sky box and the BR player. 

Bravia Sync was working great - Sky+ box turned TV and receiver on when powered up, and tuned the receiver correctly when selected; Kodi switched the receiver to TV input when selected and played sound via ARC.

This week, I've since updated the firmware to Build "SVP4KDTV15_EU-user 5.1.1 LMY48E.S223 3.395" (which seemed to work fine) and I've also had Sky Q installed.

Now, Bravia Sync only works intermittently (for example, when I select Sync Menu on the TV, nothing shows as connected even though Control for HDMI is turned on for both the Sky Q box and the receiver). 

Also, ARC is hit and miss when using Kodi.

Has anyone encountered issues with the above following the firmware update? If not, then any Sky Q early adopters who've had issues?

I've done some research on the forum which seems to indicate some issues with set top boxes interfering with comms between a TV and receiver - praying this isn't the case given what I've forked out to get Sky Q in...

Cheers

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ok, so you've had a few updates etc.  Can to reply back and tell me what happens if you remove the SkyQ box out of the equation?  Can you please test with the SkyQ totally disconnected.  If it works, then its the Sky Q box, if it dont then its something else.

Have you looked at this guide:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/hdmi-problems-troubleshooting-steps/td-p/2141941

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Ok, so you've had a few updates etc.  Can to reply back and tell me what happens if you remove the SkyQ box out of the equation?  Can you please test with the SkyQ totally disconnected.  If it works, then its the Sky Q box, if it dont then its something else.

Have you looked at this guide:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/hdmi-problems-troubleshooting-steps/td-p/2141941

Cheers

whoisthebaron
Explorer

Hi

Thanks for the link and advice. Further investigation indicates that it is in fact the Sky Q box. Looking on the Sky support forums, it appears there is a HDMI-CEC issue with the current Sky Q firmware that is interfering with the Bravia Sync functions.

Hopefully this will be fixed soon...!

Cheers

Chris

Phrimmy
New

I also have noticed the same Bravia Sync / HDMI-CEC issues since upgrading to Sky Q.

Currently I have plugged my Sky Q box into a cheap HDMI splitter from Amazon which blocks the rogue Sky Q CEC comminications from reaching my Sony TV, Sony Home Cinema etc.

You can also purchase specific CEC blocking HDMI cables or adapters which you can plug into the Sky Q box and will block the CEC PIN 13 on the HDMI cable.

Interestingly it would see this CEC issue only occurs on the Sky Q Silver main box and does not occur with the Sky Q mini box which when I tested the mini box with a similar Sony setup in another room works fine.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Phrimmy

Thanks for confirming. Ive added this to my general HDMI Troubleshooting guide.

Cheers

Hi

i have a similar issue.

Samsung HW E450 sound bar connected by ARC HDMI  to a Sony TV  KDL-EX503.

With a Sony Blue ray and a Sony PVR and Sky+HD

All has worked great, sounbar switching on going to TV ARC and sound controlled by TV remote or Sky remote all without the need of using the sounbar remote.

All ok until Sky Q was fitted. ,!!  Now sounbar will not connect to TV . This is the same for all inputs not just Sky. Even if Sky is in standby !  As soon as I unplug the HDMI from Sky. All is ok again . 

Have reported fault to Sky.. It has gone to higher management and technical teams.  They are aware of my full set  up .  I am expecting a phone call of the tech guys today.  I'm not holding my breath for a fix!  If no fix then it is goodbye to Sky.  They have already agreed to refund all costs involved with Sky Q and to zero my phone and broadband accounts so that I can move elsewhere.  Shame as the principal of Sky Q is great .   Shame sky did not get it right on release day !  

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

As suggested above you may buy an HDMI cable without CEC pin that will avoid your Sky Q messing up with all your other devices

chrgray

Note that the HDMI-CEC problems appear to have been fixed in the latest Sky Q Siver firmware.  I've removed my Lindy CEC Blocker and all is well.