Join now - be part of our community!

usb wireless lan adapter

profile.country.en_GB.title
strawberry_0
Visitor

usb wireless lan adapter

Hi I have just purchased the KDL32CX523  and wasnt aware that I had to get a seperate adapter to connect to the internet facilities. Could someone tell me where to get one from at the cheapest price or if it is somehow possible to use the internet without it?

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
drhowells
New

Hi,

I was going to say that if you really want / need to go wireless, there is only 1 option, the Sony UWA-BR100 Wireless Adapter, but your TV seems to have had compatibilty removed from the specifications. I know it was there at some stage, because I have the same TV and saw it in the past.
There are 2 alternatives....
If you your wireless modem is close to the TV you could just use a network cable to connect the 2 together. This is the easiest method.
If your Wireless modem is in a different room, then you could use Powerline adapters. They plug into your electricity points and use it like a network. This is what I use to get my TV on the Internet. You must make sure that the rooms are on the same circuit though for this to work.
Can anyone else provide information on the compatibility with the Sony Wireless Adapter?

Message was edited by: drhowells

Message was edited by: drhowells

strawberry_0
Visitor

thank you could I just confirm, does it HAVE to be the sony brand? so for instance if I bought a different brand usb lan adapter on ebay would it not work?

Secondly with the powerline adapters what do you mean by same circuit? And are these okay?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?s=co...

sorry for all the questions but I'm not very tech-savvy! Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi strawberry_0,

I use 4 of the TP-Link 200Mbps Home Plugs to link my router to 2 TVs, NAS, BD HDD Recorder, BD Player, Colour Laser Printer, Desktop PC and they work great.  No problems in any room in the house.  I have not found any problems with different ring mains as long as they go to the same mains junction fuse box.

If you go wireless, I'm afraid only the Sony USB Wireless Adapter will work.

:wink:

hallaustin
New

Hi,

I have a Soni Bravia TV, Model KDL-32CX523 - do I need an lan adaptor to be able to connect to the internet via my router? If so, where can I obtain such a device and how much does it cost?

Austin

profile.country.GB.title
royabrown
Enthusiast

@hallaustin wrote:

Hi,

I have a Soni Bravia TV, Model KDL-32CX523 - do I need an lan adaptor to be able to connect to the internet via my router? If so, where can I obtain such a device and how much does it cost?

Austin

Hi Austin

I'm struggling to see how this differs from the question at the top of this thread, but fortunately there is another answer beyond those already given.

The Sony dongle, whose compatibility is anyway in doubt is silly money -£120/140, though cheaper on eBay.

And seems to need a power cable....

But why not just get a TP-Link TL-WR802N 300Mbps Wireless N Nano Router off Amazon/Maplins for £19?

With a very short Ethernet cable, this will plug into the Ethernet socket on the TV. And it will take its power off a spare USB port on the TV, so it will be completely self-contained.

Then you just configure it to talk to the wifi on your router, which you would have to do with Sony's dongle anyway, and you have a better solution than that, and over £100 cheaper.

I use a very similar, but earlier, device to put my YouView box, which has no wifi at all and no promise of any, on my wifi network. Works like a champ.

YouView Superuser, but not an employee of YouView, nor retained by them for this purpose. It's purely me speaking