Join now - be part of our community!

W905 Netflix Super HD (5800 Mbps)

profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

W905 Netflix Super HD (5800 Mbps)

Hi, hoping for a little help from a fellow W905 owner with Netflix.

I'trying to understand if I have an issue. Is the W905 capable of playing the Netflix Super HD streams? I know that Netflix no longer call it Super HD, but I am sure I used to great the highest quality before an update. 

Can anyone play the Example Short 23.976 clip and confirm if they get a bitrate of 5800 or 4300 Kbps? Bit hard to find through the interface (searching does not find it), so I played on pc then picked up in recently watched section.

I have BT infinity 2 (65 mb) and get the higher bitrate on other devices (PS3/4, Wii U & Roku), but on the W905 it sometimes hits 5800 and goes back to a stable 4300. It seems as if the TV thinks it is unstable at that rate. 

Any help would be great. I've not reset the TV yet, but wanted to make sure I am chasing something real!

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Are you able to detect the difference in bitrate with your eyes on the TV.  After all, 1500kbps difference is not going to make that much difference.

Is your TV connected via Wifi or ethernet cable?  Try an ethernet cable just to rule wifi anyhow.

Either way, unfortunately this is probably a question for Netflix :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

Hi,

Thank you for taking an interest.

The TV is wired to the router, although I also tried wireless in case there was an issue with the network port.

On each and every occassion, it does get to full speed 5800 kbps, but then step back down. This is not a bandwidth issue, as I can stream at 5800 kbps on Wii U and Windows 8 app at the same time without any issues.

My concern here whether the capability ever existed and if there is an issue with my TV that should be checked out by Sony.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm

Do you get the same results if you play Netflix content that is outside of peaktime viewing?  Meaning, during the day or very early hours of the morning?

Im ignoring the fact that you said that Wii U and Windows 8 apps work fine - simply because Netflix traffic is probably routed through different networks depending apon the device.

Also, are you using the UK version of Netflix - or have your changed DNS servers to 'fool' netflix that you are in the US ?

Can you also try adding Google's DNS servers to the TV (manual network setup)

Primary : 8.8.8.8

Secondary : 8.8.4.4.

I cant test on my TV - ive used my free trials at this moment :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
be11aml

I have tried this at many different times of day, but it appears that something is causing  it to slow down, as it does sometimes get there for a few seconds.

This is the UK version of Netflix and every other device has no problem.

The Google DNS was the first thing I tried, but this made no difference at all, the behaviour was the same.

I'm trying to avoid a full reset, as im really happy with y current setup.

The difference in picture is small, but I have noted some  short periods where the video slows down when watching series 3 of Dexter in recent weeks. There were no problems with series 1 or 2 watching at similar times.

I do not believe my bandwidth is the issue, so maybe this is to do with the Netflix network routing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Sorry in the delay in getting back to you,  Unfortunately I cannot assist you in this - I think this might be a question for Netflix to be honest.  Give their support a buzz and see if they can help.

Cheers