Join now - be part of our community!

Android TV : Discussion Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable

Android TV : Discussion Thread

Hello All

Due to the closure of that massive Android TV thread, if you wish to discuss anything related to Android TV, please do so in this thread.  Please do not post issues and problems - purely discussion only.

If you have issues or problems, please create a thread in the Android TV board:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bd-p/Android_TV

Cheers

26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@angelacr @Jonnie1266

I was the one that closed that 6,300+ reply thread (with Sony's agreement).  With the creation of 'The Lounge Room' general discussion area, as well as a dedicated 'Android TV' board, it was a perfect opportunity to close it.

To be honest, its mighty hard to keep ontop of issues and problems when there is a 'free-for-all' thread.  It is much easier to get a handle on issues when there is one thread to one problem.  With an upcoming Marshmallow update, and 2017 TVs (in 6 months or so), it was time to change things - as im sure at some point there will be a difference in issues between different year's TVs

So, Im happy for you to blame Sony - but to be honest, its me this time...

Anyhow, you can still say whatever you want, without censorship - as long as its within forum rules :slight_smile:

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Surely this thread is exactly the same? The title 'Android tv' means it will cover every single thing and be equally messy and long. I don't see what the difference is other than it will also include all 2016 models making it even more messy. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

General discussion here is fine.  If you have an actual problem, please create a new thread in the Android TV board.

As a bit of 'revenge' - when moving that massive Android thread to the new Android TV board, at least 1 Sony staff member had his inbox spammed with 100's of email notifications   :grin:

profile.country.GB.title
Garymjh

Lol. I'm not surprised. Some of the posts on that old thread were borderline psychotic. Sometimes the internet and the public is the worst combination invented by man. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now you've got it - lol

Even though there was some great posts on the old thread with really useful advice and hints - the fact remains that most peoples first experience of these forums are from a Google search of their problem or issue whilst searching for an answer.  It is not good in promoting a friendly helpful community, when Google re-directs that person into the middle of a rant or psychotic post.

profile.country.GB.title
Jonnie1266
Contributor

@Anonymous

Hi,

sorry for for any confusion, I was merely trying to help angelacr to find the thread then I realised (too late) that it had been closed, so I was no help at all :slight_frown:

It was an almighty discussion so I agree something needed to be done to break it down somewhat !

I don't own an Android TV but if I ever do I couldn't be bothered to trawl through the whole discussion either.

Regards

If it ain't broke don't fix it
dataghost
Explorer

Looking forward to the Marshmallow update.  Until then I have turned my wifi card off in the TV as it started to say connected to the internet > disconnected from the internet continuously out of nowhere.

I had this problem a while back and a factory restore of the TV resolved.  Im not happy to do that now as I will lose all of my picture settings etc.  Plus with the wifi card disabled its not trying to download data from the internet which speeds up the response of the TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello All

YouView/Sony can annouce that STV Player is now available for those that live in Scotland.

"

The STV player is now available for the first time on all Sony Android TVs. Available only in Scotland, viewers can access the STV Player via the YouView Players page.

You can now scroll back through the channel guide on STV, STV+1 and STV HD channels and see what programmes are available to watch on catch-up. Find out more about the STV Player here.

"

https://community.youview.com/youview/topics/the-stv-player-is-now-available-for-sony-android-tvs-in...

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rsebre

@Anonymous :slight_smile:

Hello my friend, glad to see you are still persevering with the 2015/2016 TV's issues. I saw that the last forum was closed, :thinking:

Marshmello hey? Whoa, Marshmello is good and all, I did tinker with it a year or two ago, but I thought that realistically Google N was going to be its successor, and would have hoped Marsmello could have just been skipped.

I'm having fun with Tizen at present, as good old Samsung will let anybody mess around it it's source code, and create their own apps without fees (not general resale though)

I finally got Sony to take back my X-83C, they did diagnose that the board had developed faults. But then again you never know if it was the board or just the Android Boot Rom that wasn't fined tuned enough.

I've got myself a Samsung 2016 4K HDR 55' monster now and the difference between 4K and 4K HDR is massive. It's such as shame that there are so few UHD Blu-rays around at present. but hey I can finally watch The Martian in 4K HDR due to my new XBox One S 2TB. The games that I have for it shine, for lack of a better word. :wink:

With HDR on in Forza Horizon 3 and doing close to 200 miles per hour and looking up at the light coming through the trees canopy, in the forested areas of Australia is so immersive, it looks like the light coming through the tress is also coming through the TV. Gears of War 4 also is loads of fun but the HDR element their allows the cityscapes to really show you the contrasts so well. :cool:

I also have the Playstation Pro now, but guess what, it also still does not have the updated Sony Video Ultra library, even though its outputting in 4K it still wont allow me to access the 4K Ultra versions of films. :smileyd_oh:

So whats that? America has had access now for close on two years, and we here in the UK are still be treated like the poor cousin.:smileymrgreen: I don't Know...:smileycry:

Anyways, I saw you where still around and thought I'd just say hi, and give you an update on how I'm getting on.

The teardown of the PS4Pro is really good if you get the chance to watch it, and it's done by Sony Japan (don't worry the sub titles are hard coded) but why did'nt Sony do a tear down of the Bravia's from 2015 and 2016?

I sort of suspect it would have shown how many internal revisions there really where. But still, I would have been fascinating to watch. Sorry, I know you probably find it rather mundane, but I used to enjoy building analogue TV's and repairing them, and it's sort of the same principles in play even today with the new digital sets. I sort of think Sony missed a trick by not doing a teardown of their Bravias.

Anyway, as I'm going completely of topic, I should probably be getting on, but before I go I just wanted to wish you well, and the community too.

Keep up the good work

Kudos :handshake: 

Richard

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @rsebre

Glad to see you are still alive and kicking :grin:

Yes, since you last posted on these forums, ive managed to change things a little.  As you know, i never really liked that massive Android 'free for all' thread - its just simply too hard to control and identify common issues etc.  So I have a dedicated Android TV board created on the forums, which therefore created the perfect opportunity to close that thread.  I dont want to discourage general chat and discussion however (which is not the aim).

Marshmallow... To be frank things keep changing and now there is no ETA.  Even I suggested that Marshmallow be skipped now and go to Nougat - but alas, too much time/energy/money has now gone into the development of it, and so it will be 'eventually' released for 2015 and early 2016 TVs.  Although the recent release of a FW update has seemingly improved the responsiveness of the TV somewhat.  Other bugs and issues remain though.

Somehow I kinda thought that you might have a hardware issue on your X83C TV - you seemed to have just too many issues that was constant, which is actually un-usual.  Many have a couple of issues here and their, but you seemed to have copped more than your fair share. 

I am most disappointed that Sony never added a UHD Bluray player in the PS4 Pro - it would have been the perfect opportunity to do so.  I think this is more of a greed issue.  As you know when the PS3 was released, there were two competing standards in regards to bluray or HD-DVD.  With millions of PS3's around with Bluray, I think it kinda swung things (also 'bluray' rolls off the tongue better than HD-DVD :slight_smile: )  Sony have been outselling Microsoft on consoles and hence I think they have taken the gamble - maybe another console will be released in 1-2 years time as a 'final' release of the PS4.  Or a PS5 with the UHD bluray player.  Just a theory.  :question:

Good to hear such good feedback on HDR games - something I have not experienced yet, will do at some point but £££ is a problem - unless Sony employ me that is.....  But never going to happen :flushed:  But yeah, im still around - I have a break of a day or two here an there, but when I do questions pile up :slight_smile:

Glad to hear from you.  Take Care.