Join now - be part of our community!

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Future BRAVIA features - requests & suggestions.

Hi all

Please feel free to put in any requests for future updates and features you would like to see added. Of course we can't promise that we can deliver on all of them as there may be technical/commercial/resource limitations, as to why they aren't possible, but everything will be considered.

Thanks

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

Re-enable sticky tag

281 REPLIES 281
Sandyshore
Visitor

Dear Sony Designers,

My most wanted feature is an edit list on the Freeview channels so that I can choose the channels I want on the EPG (not a fav list) and not see all the rubbish I do not want.

I have a very old set top freeview box on another TV which has a simple edit button that allows me to go through every channel and put and X by it if I do not want it. Then those channels do not appear on the EPG. It's great!

Funny thing is this TVonics PVR was made in the Sony factory. It's functions are perfect. Time Sony Bravia caught up, the TVonics is only 5 years old

Renzoellul
New

Since I use the youtube application quite frequently, I'd like to have the latest settings remembered. For example when I go to choose one of my subscriptions I always have to sort the videos based on the latest feeds. Moreover I'd like to see the possibility to have HD quality videos as well.

As i suggested in a previous comment, in the skype application I'd like to see the addition of a ringing tune when someone calls, especially since a number of times I happen to call phone and no one is seeing the tv when i am calling even though the TV is on. Moreover I'd like to see the remember password option to avoid re inputting it every time.

I'd like to see more video services available and widgets. The facebook and twitter applications are useless in my opinion. I use Imediashare on my android phone to access feeds from Nasa, engadget, cnet etc... how about trying to incorporate these in the TV

Finally, when exiting from the internet video service and returning back to the digital transmission there is usually a lag of around 5-10 seconds. I do not know if this can be reduced.

Lawrence

ldvb71
Visitor

If possible, I’d really like to see a change in the way the names of recordings are determined on Bravia televisions with a USB HDD recording function, at least when the recording was programmed through the EPG.  If recordings kept the same name as given in the timer list for anything programmed through the EPG, these recordings should always get the correct name.  As pointed out elsewhere on this forum, the name of a recording currently is very often that of the preceding programme, presumably because the name is taken from the signal at the start of recording, and these wrong names are a real headache.

If it’s not possible to avoid the problem of mis-named recordings, even when programmed through the EPG, an option that enables users to change the name of recordings would be good, so that wrong names can at least be corrected manually.

Some other desirables relating to the recording function:

(1)  An option to sort the recordings alphabetically by title (well, once the naming problem has been addressed—pointless at the moment, but it would be very useful once the names are correct, especially for anyone with a large number of recordings on a single drive).

(2)  The possibility to record a series without having to programme it for each episode separately would be nice.

(3)  A ‘pause’ function would be useful too from time to time.  (Sony’s own website at the moment seems to suggest that pausing live tv is already possible, but I don’t think it is—see http://www.sony.co.uk/hub/lcd-television/benefits/connectivity/article/id/1237481406476 “USB HDD Recording lets you record TV shows direct from your BRAVIA® TV onto a USB hard disk drive. Just set your TV to record based on the Electronic Programme Guide and it will automatically save programmes for you – even from HD channels. Watch your favourite TV when it suits you, or pause live TV and pick up again where you left off”.  Does this involve a planned firmware update?)

profile.country.mk_MK.title
testerq1
Visitor

-I second the skype remember password function, also for other pw protected sites;

-Also, for google calendar I get a message that the page is too big to load; so more memory to be able to load those kind of pages.

-I also would love a USB/Wifi keyboard

-KDL26EX320: More USB connectors (when you attach the skype module, you have none left...)

-When you have a settop box for cable TV, it would be nice to be able to set that up as default startup input

Message was edited by: testerq1

Message was edited by: testerq1

ds1234
Visitor

(i've got a KDL-32EX403)

1) I notice there are a lot of posts regarding .avi files not playing, i don't know the cure but i *think* i know what the problem is.  It appears Sony is one of the few media players that has an issue with a non-zero wBitsPerSample value in the MP3 audio format structure.  The video file will play perfectly well for almost every player i've tried but the codec Sony uses in their firmware cannot cope with this for some reason.

(the quick and relatively easy workaround is to use Virtualdub to re-save the avi using 'direct stream' audio and video (no re-encode is necessary) as it resets the wBitsPerSample value to zero).

I don't know how easy it would be to solve this issue but can't imagine it'd be impossible nor too problematic (perhaps as simple as setting something to ignore non-zero values) but it'd certainly solve a large number of complaints about problematic avi/xvid/divx files.

2) as others have said mkv and other file support would be great.  Is this likely at all?  And is there a list somewhere of exactly what is supported?

3) 4od support would be good (interestingly, or otherwise, youtube on the Sony tv appears to remove the 4od videos, so i expect there's an issue beyond Sony's control there).

4) the ultimate would be recording to usb but i assume that's well beyond the capabilities of the tv?

halifax555
Visitor

At present when you set up favourites and sort pictures i.e. to put BBC1 HD as channel 1 etc,  pressing button 1 on the remote control not only takes you to BBC 1 SD but causes the TV to switch from the favourites list to the standard list. Not a bug really but not clever either.

Also, as I have had to buy an external sound system - because the sound is so poor without it - I would value being able to adjust the sound settings of the signal fed to it.  At present, the trebble , bass  etc is fixed for the external outputs. There should be the option to be able to adjust the optical and 3.5mm output sound settings, to avoid the need to use yet another remote control  !   ( I am  extremely annoyed at how poor the sound from my  £1,300 TV is. My old SONY flat screen CRT TV that I have just traded in was a world away from the rubbish sound quality of my new TV. What is the point of a thin TV if you then need to buy big ugly boxes to add back decent sound !)

allybalder
Visitor

The sound from my KDL40EX724 is also awfull so got a blueray player system - prob due to the slimness of the flat screens no space for decent speakers  but also getting lot of bass - from Sky mainly

profile.country.de_DE.title
Oldie0
Visitor

I agree;

I have the KDL-40HX805 and from my point of view this is the main deficiency in the operational concept.

Why the "Return" button is not used (in normal TV-watching mode) as the return button to the previous channel  --  always toggling between the two last channels ?

profile.country.en_LV.title
SatinSpider
Visitor

Skype chat without having the need for a camera / microphone please

Internet browser as a widget (TV and web), with bigger text and without the need to select the country everytime! (and the ability to use smartphone keyboard?)

Release notes on updates, and also would be good to see a 'plan for the future releases'

and pretty much what the rest said.

cheaudev
New

At a start, have the media remote apps working on 2010 model.  It does not seem to work with my HX803. If it should , please let me know too.  I have updated the TV firmware already. Thanks.