Join now - be part of our community!

Lets boycott SOny Android TVs?

Lets boycott SOny Android TVs?

Seriously man, I have been a big fan of Sony TV (i hope still!). The picture and sound quality are second to none... but now due to the stupid Android softrware, there are just  too many bugs to be content with...

Before this latest firmware update on the 10 Dec, the screen tends to go blank without picture but only audio. However, after the new firware update, there is only BLCK screen without even any audio! The TV keeps crashing... !

I think it is time to move on to Samsung and boycott Sony TV until they get their acts together...

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.GB.title
dobooth13

It's already happening. Sony TV market share has dropped to 6% in 2014.

I have other Android devices that work perfectly well, it is just what Sony have done with it on their TVs.

----------------------------
KD-49X8307C
profile.country.GB.title
smiffy2

Got to be honest..... I've lost count of  the number of times I've had to turn my set off at the wall and turn it back on again to get things working properly.

I'm now suffering a frozen EPG.

:anguished:

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dobooth13 wrote:

It's already happening. Sony TV market share has dropped to 6% in 2014.

Thats 2014 - before Android TVs, so largely irrelevent to thread title.  Besides, I dont think Sony is concentrating on market share....  One could always flood the market with 100s of models under different umbrella brands...

FY Q2 2015 Finance

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/fr/15q2_sony.pdf

_20151213_173458.JPG

Awards:

http://presscentre.sony.co.uk/pressreleases/sony-celebrates-six-wins-at-2015-eisa-awards-1201279

_20151213_173734.JPG

_20151213_173548.JPG

profile.country.GB.title
dobooth13

A best tv award from EISA, who are EISA? answer: bunch of druken hacks funded by Sony   :laughing: ROFL

Also you draw attention to a (likely) temporary increase in profit in 1 quarter arising from cost reductions (which means staff redundancies) These staff were probably software developers which would explain a lot

KD-49X8307C

Yea, lets tell all our fmaily and freidns to bocott Sony untill they get their acts together. Let'smake this a movement!

I hope Sony people are paying attention to this thread?

profile.country.GR.title
MiCal1967
Contributor

They must give an option to all Android Televisions owners of selecting another Operating System like Linux or Windows.

I wouldn't mind to pay for Windows an extra fee in case of a stable expensive Sony Television with everything working as it should.

Android is finally the worst.

Sony must reconsider.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why must Sony give a choice on OS's?  Its your choice to purchase a Sony Android TV.  Just like your choice on LG's WebOS or Samsungs Tizen

Caledonian_TV
Contributor

@Quinnicus wrote:

Why must Sony give a choice on OS's?  Its your choice to purchase a Sony Android TV.  Just like your choice on LG's WebOS or Samsungs Tizen

Actually... It's NOT!  

I requested that Sony replace my 2015 Android with a slightly larger (by way of compensation) 'Android Free' model from the 2014 range...  Had I the CHOICE I would have never have purchased the Android set. Indeed, had I known that the Android OS was so deeply embedded in the set that it could not be 'ignored' and effectively crippled the unit such that it could not reliably be used as a basic domestic TV receiver - not in a million years would I have made that 'choice'...

So, I'm afraid your argument Quinnicus is an entirely 'straw man' one!  - Most people are buying a TV set to watch TV programmes; not a giant tablet to fiddle with an OS. Most viewers couldn't give a rat's aspidistra about 'OSs'...  They're there to drop a grand or so on something that will be the centre of their living room for the next half-decade or more...

As I've said before... Sony were once the 'Gold Standard' in television. For DECADES they build the de-facto standard machines in broadcast... They invented the U-Matic and BetaCam (not the same thing as Betamax) standards that dominated broadcast production for over three decades. - And even now, their old portable Trinitron monitors are highly prized by many broadcast cameramen... Their kit was legend..

People buy Sony based on their old reputation won over many decades... People trust Sony... 

THAT is why they choose Sony...

And how is that trust repaid?

You CANNOT even plug an aerial into the back of one of these things, plug it in, and expect to watch basic off-air TV programmes on one of these things without problems...

- In a race to the bottom Sony have enlisted an hapless and unknowing public as their 'Beta Testers' for something they CANNOT have tested to any credible standard! - Support? A forum 'staffed' with barrack-room 'experts' who are very clearly completely untrained, unqualified  and unknowing about much of what they speak!  

- Some of these sets seem to have power supply issues; is there an actual engineer monitoring these boards to step in and take charge?  - No!

It's bad enough that people are having their time and money wasted by Sony... That they're selling sets that are no better (and in many respects much worse) that Chinese Junk you could buy off a barra...  That there is no PROPER support for people having issues with them.

But what will it take 'till THEY take full responsibility for this debacle? One of these damned things to set light to a family home? 

Again... As I've said many times before... If Sony had an ounce of integrity as a company they'd recall these things immediately.  Or better-still never have sent these unmitigated disasters to market in the first place. - The designers, developers and marketers behind this mess deserve their jotters. 

As for the plastic Awards?  Muttley Medals! No more no less!   - I'm a PAYING customer; not a pie-fed lapdog! And it's the PAYING customersthat count!

Sony need to be restoring face...  Until then? 

Well in my case Sony... Sony Broadcast... Well they won't be getting any business from me in this year's tranche of new 4K kit. And we'll have the Jury well-out for the future. How we go from there will have much to do with how they recover from this mess.

profile.country.GB.title
dobooth13

@MiCal1967 wrote:

They must give an option to all Android Televisions owners of selecting another Operating System like Linux or Windows.

I wouldn't mind to pay for Windows an extra fee in case of a stable expensive Sony Television with everything working as it should.

Android is finally the worst.

Sony must reconsider.....

I doubt there is much wrong with Android itself, I think it's much more likely that we are experiencing problems with the way Sony have integrated Android into its hardware. It was likely a rush job to try to be one of the first to market.

KD-49X8307C