Join now - be part of our community!

Chromecast disconnects

csthomas
Visitor

Chromecast disconnects

Hi there,

My issue is that no matter which app I use, the phone will only remain connected to the chromecast for a minute or so after it goes to sleep. Each app seems to behave differently after the phone goes to sleep. Netflix will disconnect and cause the Chromecast to drop back to the ready to cast screen, Youtube will continue to play without the ability to control the chromecast, chrome will cause the chromecast to pause playback and I have to use the google home app to stop playback and reconnect again inside chrome.

I do not have any issues casting with my HTC One M8 or Galaxy Tab E.

I have added exceptions in my battery manager for the apps I use for streaming. I have disabled Stamina Mode. I have reset my chromecasts to default (yes, both, I know it doesn't make sense since my other devices are fine). I am on 7.1.1 and refuse to update to Oreo because of the battery life issues. I have also checked my wifi settings and the only relevant setting was to ensure wifi stays on all the time - and this was enabled.

I do believe that the issue is in my phone somewhere, but I have no idea where to else to check. There is also the possibility that even though my settings are correct, my phone is not behaving in the way its configured to work. Anyone have any ideas on how to proceed here?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.PH.title
MarlonUk1
Expert

can you try to boot your device to safe mode?? and see if the connection with chromecast still drops?

csthomas
Visitor

So I rebooted my phone to safe mode. The only app that was not disabled was Chrome, so I went to youtube and started a playlist. It allowed me to cast, so I did and left my phone alone. As soon as the screen turned off the video paused on the TV. Upon waking my device when I pressed play again the video resumed on the phone but remained paused on the TV. Tapping the cast button does nothing on the phone.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

A Google search popped up with this:

Fix #1: Factory Data Reset

The first and easiest fix is to completely reset your Chromecast back to its factory defaults. This will not delete any of your app data--all it means is that your Chromecast number will change (which makes no difference to you or your devices) and you’ll have to go through the setup process again.

Hold down the button on the back of your Chromecast dongle for at least 25 seconds. Once your TV screen goes blank you can let go and wait for it to clear its memory.

It's also a good idea to try a using different device during your second setup attempt. For example: if you tried to set it up using the Chromecast app on your phone the first time, download the app to your housemate's and try using theirs the second.

Fix #2: Reset Your Modem/Router

Turn your modem and router (both are often part of the same device) off and disconnect from power. Wait around 10 seconds and reconnect power before turning them back on (modem first, router second, if you have separate units).

Wait around 30 seconds to 1 minute before trying to connect your Chromecast again.

And this.

Does that help you?

csthomas
Visitor

I think I have solved my problem. 

I had tried factory resets on both my chromecasts even though the common point of failure is my Xperia. Even tried switching to my 5 Ghz network, all to no avail. 

I was doing some reading on how casting works and I found out that the backbone is within Google Play services. I Uninstalled it from the store and then updated it again after. I cleared the cache and for the first time I just finished watching a full uninterrupted 60 minute episode on Netflix without having to recast every 5 minutes. 

Hope this helps someone else. 

HoyAnton
Visitor

man you are the legend ! thank you so much !!

HoyAnton
Visitor

Just want to confirm, uninstalling Google Play Services from my Sony XA2 Ultra and Instaling New Updates  improved the situation with Chromecast. But didn't fix the problem 100%. It keeps loosing conectcon with my phone.

BradB
Visitor

In addition to making sure the Home app is included on the list of unmonitored apps (Settings>Device Maintenance>Battery>Unmonitored Apps), make sure that Local Network and Security is unchecked (Settings>Lock Screen and Security>Secure Lock Settings>Local Network and Security).