Join now - be part of our community!

Mobile Network standby battery drain

alreg
Visitor

Mobile Network standby battery drain

Hellow everyone,

Since I updated my phone to Android Oreo I noticed my battery was draining very fast. This is because a process called "mobile Network standby"Screenshot_20171214-215717.png

Does anyone have The same problem? Maybe It will be fixed by the December update?

Regards.

12 REPLIES 12
TattKttn
Visitor

Same here, though for me it started a couple days before I updated. Next day I was streaming video all day and was truly impressed with the battery life. But then the LTE network wasn't responding so I switched to WCDMA (preferred) and since then, yes, my mobile internet works but my battery drains 15% in an hour. I changed it back to LTE (preferred) and turned off VoLTE. I'll let you know if it helps. 

jacoyoon
Visitor

Me too. After Oreo update, Battery consumption is terrible. 

alreg
Visitor

Let's see if that works for you... I repaired my sotware through Xperia COmpanion last Saturday and the problem persists... I do not know what to do...

alreg
Visitor

I have just chatted thorugh Sony Support Chat and the provided me with two tips:

1) Turn off the option for Wi-Fi on during sleep

2) Disable VoLTE.

I will try and come back with my experience

shotfirer
Visitor

Same here. Wi-Fi is off during sleep (when not plugged in), and I don't have LTE.

Mobile network standby draining about 14% (Phone Idle is 7%) in 10 hours since full charge.

TattKttn
Visitor

Turning off VoLTE definitely helped. Only 5% battery drain after 2 hrs as opposed to 15% with it on. Mobile Network is still the highest drain but at least its not draining as fast. 

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Maybe mobile data is the culprit.

In Oreo the is a setting Mobile data always active which is on by default.

You can switch it off.

- go-to settings

- go-to System

- go-to About phone

- multiple to on Build number

- developer options are activated

- return to System

- you will find Developer options

- scroll down to Mobile data always active

- switch it off

- this is switched off by default in Android Nougat and is switched on by default in Oreo

Hope it helps

alreg
Visitor

Thank you, I have tried that and Will Come back tomorrow to provide feedback.

Regards!

shotfirer
Visitor

The switch in Dev options, mentioned above, not doing any difference. It was the first thing I've tried since updating to Oreo and discovering mobile standby drain – no effect. Mobile standby is draining power like insane.

After spending some time researching this subject it looks like it's google's fault and it's pretty common between different manufacturers after Oreo release. Which seems to be fixed in 8.1, but I doubt that we will get it any time soon.