Join now - be part of our community!

Phone won't charge, battery dead

Bianca93
Visitor

Phone won't charge, battery dead

Hi, 

I'm having this unfortunate situation since this morning: the phone won't charge when I plug it, the battery is totally drained and there is no way it turns on (it only shows the battery logo when I push the power button). It looks like it does not detect the phone charger (which works fine). 

I can only find information about the Xperia Z models and nothing seems to work. 

Everything worked fine until yesterday, nothing happened to the phone (two weeks old, by the way). 

Is there any way to fix this?? I would REALLY like to avoid and send it to an assistance center. 

Thanks. 

Tags (2)
13 REPLIES 13
profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

I'm afraid if multiple chargers fail to work, it is a case for your local support to take a look at it.
Emir1
Hero

Hi @Bianca93,

Could you first try to force a shut down of your device? To do so, press and hold the power button and the volume up button until the device vibrates 3 times. Once you've done so, try charging it for at least 2 hours and then try starting it again. When you start it, make sure the SD and SIM cards are not inserted.

If it still won't boot or charge, I'd suggest following @Viridis advice and sending it in to an authorized service center. To do so, contact your Local support for further assistance.

Bianca93
Visitor

Hi, I cannot force shut down because the phone is already out of power. Whatever combination I try, I only get the red battery logo for about 10 seconds and then nothing. I tried to put it under charge for several hours with no Sim or SD card and nothing happened. I suspect it's an hardware problem at this time.  

Very disappointing, never had a problem with any Sony product, I wasn't expecting my new (expensive) phone to suddenly die for no reason! 

Emir1
Hero

I am sorry to hear that, but in this case I can only refer you to have your device sent to an authorized service center. For assistance in doing so, contact your Local support.

bvlenci
Visitor

I have the same problem with my Xperia X, which is five months old. I'm definitely going to send it to a service center, but I wanted to contribute my experience. 

I had a similar thing happen in July, when the phone was two month old. We were on vacation, and in the evening the phone wouldn't charge. The charging light would come on, but then go off again. The phone had about 20% charge left. I blamed it on the outlet in the hotel, so I switched to another outlet. Same problem. I tried a different charger. Same problem. I turned the phone off and left it charging all night. In the morning it was totally discharged. I left it there all day, and in the evening it was charging. 

Then it happened again in September. I was in Rome, and, once again, I was convinced that it was a faulty charger. I turned the  phone off, but it was totally dead in the morning. I bought a new charger and plugged it in that evening, and the phone started charging. 

Finally, the same thing happened last week. Again, I was away from home. I tried to charge my phone when it still had about 18% charge left. Again, the charge light came on but went off again in a minute or so. The battery kept draining, very quickly. The odd thing was that I couldn't turn the phone off. It kept trying to restart. Even when holding down the volume and the power button simultaneously, the phone would vibrate three times, but it would immediately try to restart, even when it had nowhere near enough charge to restart. 

This time, the phone seems truly dead. I'm going to send it to the service center. 

However, I realized something important this time: All three times, I had been using Google Navigation the day the problem started. In fact, these are the only three times I had used Google Navigation since I bought the phone. Twice I was using it while it was plugged into my cigarette lighter charger in the car. The other time (the second time) I was using it while walking around central Rome. When using it in the car, I had noticed that the phone was discharging even while plugged in, but I supposed that the navigation was an unusual drain on the battery, and it never got close to 0. 

Emir1
Hero

Hi @bvlenci, I am very sorry to hear about that. Slightly_frowning_Face

That does sound very strange, but I am thankful for the detailed explanation! I have not heard of such a correlation before, but I do recommend having it sent to an authorized service center so that a technician may look at it like you mentioned. Try to describe when it happened in a similar manner as in your post to make it easier for the technician to troubleshoot.

Let me know how it went! Slightly_smiling_Face

Buyonethatworks
Visitor

Don't buy a sony phone.even the new Xperia xz premium have same issue.on last Xperia I managed to jump start with aux battery but the lat3st won't even take that.your phone runs flat and that's it,repair or a new phone.sont have had this issue for years but won't or can't resolve so keep churning them out as they are.the hold button down with volume doesn't work on latest ones so it's time to dump sony off .you would have thought they could have fixed it by now.more fool me for buying one.shame but they have nailed their own coffin by refusing to resolving the defect

Chazzy328
Visitor

Hi i know its a late post but i have done the method you suggest the phone didnt came on however a red charging LED light up for about 5 seconds after that a blue LED had appear and its steady on that blue light is it a good sign what do i do now do i have to wait ? Is it charging?

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

@Chazzy328

Red light for 1 or 2 seconds and then turning blue is normal for starting up in fastboot mode.

Guess you didn't try that.

You did exchange and try out another USB cable on another phone.

When you're shure the cable is ok you're up for a repair.

Try one more thing, press power button while plugging in the USB charger.

Once I had screwed up my Z3C.

It didn't react to nothing.

The red led kept lighting only when holding the power button.

Don't know how or why and how it returned to functioning again.

When nothing goes, just try, don't destroy your device while you're experimenting.

If nothing works you can still send your device in for repair.