Join now - be part of our community!

Pop-up confirmation window is unresponsive

Kot-Begemot
Visitor

Pop-up confirmation window is unresponsive

I have an Xperia X Compact (model F5321 running Android 7.1.1). A few months ago it started exhibiting a very unnoying problem. When I use an app and want to do something within this app that requires a confirmation, the confirmation pop-up window that appears is unresponsive, so I cannot either confirm or cancel this action. Examples:

• When I try to make a WhatsApp audio call, a window asking "Start voice call?" appears. However, it does not react to my touching "call" or "cancel", so I cannot make a WhatsApp call.
  • When I go to Contacts and try to delete a contact, a window saying "Contact will be deleted" appears. However, it does not react to my touching "delete" or "cancel", so I cannot delete a contact. 

I have searched the Internet, but could find a solution to this issue. Any ideas will be appreciated!

Happy New Year!

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Try safe mode.

Of course WhatsApp will not be present, but contacts will.

Other option to try:

Goto settings-> apps & notifications -> find app -> go Storage -> clear cache & clear data

Kot-Begemot
Visitor

Thank you for your quick response. Safe mode does not resolve this issue. In the "Settings" menu I see "apps" and "notifications", but no "apps & notifications". I would appreciate a clarification how I can get to clear cache & clear data.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Sorry, I'm not on Oreo

Goto settings->apps

Find Contacts

Tap on it and inside tap on Storage

The tap on clear cache and tap on clear data

Restart device and test if it is OK now.

If not; ask again

Better safe than sorry:

Do this first

Goto settings -> accounts

Choos your Google account and sync

Your data will be synced in the cloud

You can find your contacts on your computer by browsing to contacts.google.com

Kot-Begemot
Visitor

Maybe I was unclear, but the issue is not unique to Contacts -- it appears in many apps whenever a confirmation of an action is needed. When a confirmation window appears (in any app), its buttons are unresponsive, so I cannot confirm the action. I have already mentioned WhatsApp audio calls, but here are other examples:

• When I try to delete a picture in Albums, a pop-up window appears asking for confirmation, but it is unresponsive, so I cannot confirm the deletion.
  • When I try to uninstall an app in Google Play, it asks for confirmation, but the confirmation and cancelation buttons are unresponsive, so I cannot uninstall anything.
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Let's ask @najodleglejszy 

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

@Kot-Begemot  do you use a screen overlay app like Twilight or some other blue light filter? Android prevents some important buttons from being pressed if some other app (like the ones I mentioned) is displaying something over those buttons. a Facebook Messenger chathead bubble might have a similar effect.

Kot-Begemot
Visitor

Thank you for your suggestions!

I am not aware of any blue light filters on the phone. I have disabled a few apps on the phone including Facebook, but this has not helped.

In Settings menu, I have found the list of apps that have "draw over other apps" permission. These include: Android Accessibility Suite, AVG Protection, Facebook (currently disabled), Google, Google Play Music, Google Play Services, Photos, Uber, YouTube (currently disabled) plus some system apps. Can any of these be the culprit?

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

@Kot-Begemot  the best way to check would be to deny the permission to the apps one by one, checking every time if you're able to press one of the problematic buttons.

Kot-Begemot
Visitor

I have removed the permission to draw over other apps from all the apps (including the system ones) except for "System UI", which is greyed out, but it did not help. Where else can be the problem?