Join now - be part of our community!

SD Card suddenly unsupported

BenS-T
Visitor

SD Card suddenly unsupported

This happened all of a sudden today - restarted my phone due to Spotify app being a bit buggy and now neith my phone or PC will recognise my SD Card without 'formatting' it. 

Obviously I am worried this will mean deleting the contents - is that it for the SD Card now? It's ruined and I'll have no access to it any more?

3 REPLIES 3
Jonas
Master

Hi @BenS-T, sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

Since you experience the same behaviour when connecting your SD card to your computer, it does sound like there is something wrong with the SD card and if you format it, all data on the card will be deleted.

I know that some SD card manufacturers have their own recovery software for at least computers, so that could be worth checking out as we do not have any such software/program. This could possibly save some data on the SD card.

You should be able to find this information directly on the manufacturers website, or if you contact their support.

Let me know if that helps!

BenS-T
Visitor

I'm afraid I'm not a particularly confident operator for something like that which may mean I compromise my data further, while I have been quoted £39 for an attempted recovery by a local supplier, it's not an ideal solution.

The bigger picture issuse is that since I have changed the SD card for a new one, the same thing has happened today so I can only assume that something my phone is doing is causing this issue.

If I were being particularly cynical I would find it odd that I am 3 weeks away from my contract renewel, however I would have thought this would be more O2's concern than Sony's it still leaves a worrying taste of the potential for planned obsolescence.

Jonas
Master

Hi again @BenS-T and sorry to hear that it has occurred with a new SD card as well Slightly_frowning_Face

That makes it more likely to be the device as you said and is it the same thing this time, when a computer can't read the SD card either?

I'm not sure how it is in the UK (I think that is where you are situated as you mentioned O2) but here in the Nordics a "normal" contract runs for 2 years and if it's the same in the UK, your device should still be under warranty in case it needs to be sent in to be examined at an authorized service centre.

The troubleshooting is pretty straight forward for this as it's either caused by the software in the device, or there is something not working correctly with the SD card reader.

For the software part, you can perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, but as always when resetting the device, make sure that you backup your data with the same program before you start with the repair.

For assistance with sending the device in to service, or if you have any questions about service, warranty or consumer laws, please get in touch with your Local support team as the routines, terms and laws varies between markets.

Feel free to keep me posted!