Join now - be part of our community!

The phone doesn't recognize the SIM card

SOLVED
ddt123
Visitor

The phone doesn't recognize the SIM card

Hello,

Could someone, perhaps a Sony rep, guide me toward making my phone recognize the SIM card that's inserted?

I know the card isn't faulty, since it is new and works fine in my Samsung tablet. However, ever since I got my X Compact last week, I can only get a "No SIM card - Emergency calls only" message. All other functions seem to be working fine - except that it is not a telephone!

Its build number is 34.1.A.1.198.

Thank you,

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ddt123
Visitor

Update: problem solved.

In case anyone else has the same problem, here is what solved it for me (based on different procedures I found online): dial *#*#4636#*#*, choose phone information, and change some options. I am not sure which change did the trick for me. I booted the phone several times during the process (I didn't know if that was necessary for the changes to come into effect or not), and even had a different SIM card inserted at the time. After an hour trying different configurations and nothing appearing to work, I put in the SIM card I wanted to use with this phone, turned it on, and all of a sudden the card was recognized (and has been, ever since - I can even take it out and put it back in with confidence that it will still be recognized).

On the specific changes I made:
- "set preferred network type": I also tried GSM only, WCDMA only, Global auto (PRL), Unknown, and probably others. I ended back with WCDMA preferred, but maybe even temporarily setting one of these other options helped solving the issue.

- "cellular radio power": I would turn it off, even though the next time I got into this screen, it would be on again.

- "toggle DNS check": allowed.

That's it, really. I didn't do anything under the "select radio band" option, since I found a complaint online that once they made a choice between U.S. or Japan modes, they couldn't go back.

I would also like to thank XprncD and YoGem, who tried helping me out.

David

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
XprncD
Visitor

@ddt123 wrote:
Its build number is 34.1.A.1.198.

Update it from Marshmallow to Nougat and/or speak to your service provider.

YoGem
Leader

Well, what's the SIM card provider, what kind of connectivity are you seeking to use and what's the model and customization number? Go in settings, about phone, diagnostic, facts: take model number and customization id and post it here. You may have a device that is not intended for your network.

ddt123
Visitor

YoGem, the model is F5321 (it is an X Compact), and the customization is 1305-2001 R2B.

The SIM card provider is TIM Brasil, and I am seeking for any connectivity whatsoever (but the "phone" is compatible with the 4G frequencies here in Brazil, and our 3G is GSM, so that shouldn't be a problem).

Thank you,

David

ddt123
Visitor

XprncD,

The service provider told me that the problem is probably with the phone, since I am able to use the SIM card with other devices. That makes sense to me.
About updating, I was avoiding it since I read in this forum that some people had audio and heating issues after updating, and it seems there's no going back once I update the 'phone'. Is there any reason why you believe that updating to Nougat would solve the problem?

Thank you,

David

ddt123
Visitor

I updated it through software repair. Problem continues.

XprncD
Visitor

@ddt123 wrote:
I was avoiding it since I read in this forum that some people had audio and heating issues after updating, and it seems there's no going back once I update the 'phone'. Is there any reason why you believe that updating to Nougat would solve the problem?

Audio issues maybe but not read anything about overheating, you can use the unofficial Flashtool too to flash back to older FW just to clarify that. If updating doesn't solve issues then that's a good indication that something is actually broke/not working right.

Go to the service menu again and check the "Configuration" working bands against THIS page. If the sim is new and inserted correctly then it's either not compatible with the phone, or is actually broken and needs repairing or replacing.

ddt123
Visitor

Update: problem solved.

In case anyone else has the same problem, here is what solved it for me (based on different procedures I found online): dial *#*#4636#*#*, choose phone information, and change some options. I am not sure which change did the trick for me. I booted the phone several times during the process (I didn't know if that was necessary for the changes to come into effect or not), and even had a different SIM card inserted at the time. After an hour trying different configurations and nothing appearing to work, I put in the SIM card I wanted to use with this phone, turned it on, and all of a sudden the card was recognized (and has been, ever since - I can even take it out and put it back in with confidence that it will still be recognized).

On the specific changes I made:
- "set preferred network type": I also tried GSM only, WCDMA only, Global auto (PRL), Unknown, and probably others. I ended back with WCDMA preferred, but maybe even temporarily setting one of these other options helped solving the issue.

- "cellular radio power": I would turn it off, even though the next time I got into this screen, it would be on again.

- "toggle DNS check": allowed.

That's it, really. I didn't do anything under the "select radio band" option, since I found a complaint online that once they made a choice between U.S. or Japan modes, they couldn't go back.

I would also like to thank XprncD and YoGem, who tried helping me out.

David

inigomontoya
Visitor

Dude, you are the savior!!! Those technical support people from the service providers were so useless that they recommended me to reset the data. Based on your solution, I switched GSM to WCDMA and it worked!!!!

wayki
Visitor

This doesn't work for me.

Was driving and sim just stopped working.

Sometimes says no sim - othertimes it sees the sim but no signal.

Sim works on other devices.

Please help.