Join now - be part of our community!

Lock screen PIN changed by itself (Can't access personal data)

franp
Visitor

Lock screen PIN changed by itself (Can't access personal data)

Hello, 

My Xperia XA ran out of battery yesterday and turned itself off, when I was able to start charging the phone it turned on and kept saying incorrect PIN when I used the same PIN I've always used on this phone. I've tried multiple methods to figure this out but ultimately I am absolutely sure what my PIN is supposed to be and the phone won't accept it. 

Sadly I didn't think to connect this phone to a Sony Account for the "Find my phone" service which could've been able to bypass the lockscreen and I don't have MTP mode enabled so I can't transfer my personal data from the phone to do a hard reset without losing everything.

I think my only option is to forget all about my personal files, contacts, and messages to do a hard reset and regain function of my phone but I was hoping there could be another option?

Maybe something through recovery mode? Or if there have been cases of the phone changing the lockscreen PIN by itself if it changed to something in specific? Or even if this might be a bug?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

there's no way the phone can change the PIN by itself, either someone had access to your phone or someone had access to your Gmail account. 

CameronT
Champion

Hi @franp,

Welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear you cannot access your phone Slightly_frowning_Face

If you are unable to access myxperia.com then you will have to perform a software repair using Xperia Companion, which will erase all your personal data. It is not possible to get into the phone another way, as this will leave your personal information vulnerable, available to anyone who finds your phone.

I do apologise for the inconvenience this causes you.

franp
Visitor

I figured there was probably no way it would change the PIN by itself but it could be some sort of bug. Are you saying that it's possible to change someone's PIN through their gmail account? The only way I can think of that working is if they logged into my account and used the Android phone locator to change the PIN but to do that my phone would have to have been unlocked at the time. I use an authenticator to access my gmail account so I don't know if that would even be possible.

CameronT
Champion

@franp,

I'm not sure how it happened, I can only really make assumptions but that doesn't help the situation right now. I do recommend that once you have your device back up and running that you set up the My Xperia protection (Settings > Locks screen & security > Protection by My Xperia) so you can change the code from the MyXperia.com site if it ever happens in the future.

PeterTLL
Visitor

It just happened to me for the second time in a week. I went through the software repair on Monday and re-download all my app, And this afternoon it happened again. I called Sony and they suggested my to do the software repair again. I am getting very upset with this phone.

Pammy1
Visitor

I had the SAME problem. 

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Pammy1 @franp @PeterTLL 

Are you certain that no one has access to your Gmail account and is using MyXperia or AndroidDeviceManager to change the code?

DB17
Visitor

Spoiler
I have the same problem.ive used the same password for over a year.
urosboy2000
Visitor

Same here,my xperia xz premium ran out of battery,and now my pattern lock is changed by itself,i cant access my phone.This is such shame for Sony.