Join now - be part of our community!

Battery drain after update 47.1.A.12.270

ElisaK
Visitor

Battery drain after update 47.1.A.12.270

I bought my Xperia XZ1 Compact nearly five months ago, in early April. It worked fine for several months with minimal battery drain, but the drain has gotten absolutely atrocious after July's update.

I'm not even joking with this. I have done absolutely no changes to any of my settings or apps - I've had the same apps on the phone since April (including downloaded ones). The battery drain was very good for the first three months or so - 100% battery drained in around 1 and a half days.

The past few weeks, however, the drain got progressively worse (24 hours from 100% one day, 13 hours from 100% the next). It got so bad that I did a complete factory reset, and the phone was amazing when I started it up again - the drain showed 7 days, 1 hour from 100%. I let the phone perform the system update and pre-installed app updates while it was charging... after unplugging the phone when those updates were installed? Battery drain showed 12 HOURS from 100%.

It literally just showed that after a factory reset and required updates, without any app usage at all, immediately after unplugging the charger. Right now it's been 1 hour since the factory reset, and this is what it looks like:

Screenshot_20180826-195941.pngScreenshot_20180826-195949.png

The language is Finnish, and the screens read:

Battery level and estimated time: 90%, 11 hours and 50 minutes remaining

Usage after last charge: Phone idle, 2%, 1 hour 3 minutes; Screen, 2%, 53 minutes

Device usage: last full charge, 1 hour 5 minutes ago; screen usage after full charge, 53 minutes

This is with screen brightness dragged all the way to the left (0% brightness). The drain occurs on both Wi-Fi and mobile data. Enabling Safe Mode doesn't help (which means extra apps do not cause it).

Is the battery on this phone supposed to do this after four months, or did the system update screw everything up that badly?

Also, why exactly does my screen show 53 minutes of use when my phone is very clearly idle, with the screen black? I'm still certain an update did this, considering I have done absolutely nothing to my settings since the reset. Which is why, as a customer, I'm expecting a future system update to fix this battery drain issue. If it doesn't happen, I'm going to have to change my phone after four months. I'd wanted an Xperia Compact instead of the bigger phones since my hands are small, and I am NOT going to be happy if this problem forces me to switch to a bigger one that will be difficult to hold. Sony, please just do something about it and actually check your updates. An idle phone literally after a factory reset is NOT supposed to do that, and it is in no way my fault. This is why it is also not my job to fix it through workarounds. As the company making these phones, it's yours.

Honestly, I am so angry right now that I'm driving my family crazy by swearing and chewing up the scenery.

33 REPLIES 33
Profyler1
Contributor

yeah there is something wrong with the phone for some people, but we dont know what it is.

We done extensite tests but never found the culprit of this drain.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xz1-compact/help/battery-life-bit-odd-t3688342

https://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-xz1-compact/help/20-battery-drain-night-everything-tried-t38...

Sorry mate, but I dont think you will find an answer here. Specially from sony.

ElisaK
Visitor

Well then. I've now sent Sony's support an email about this issue, complete with the link to this post and to an Android battery drain help page (where none of the tips helped at all).

If there is no adequate solution, I'm most likely taking this phone right back to the store and exchanging it for a Honor 10. Better a weaker phone that actually works than a powerful one that doesn't.

EDIT: Just a thought. Is it possible Sony is preparing for Android 9 and they're changing something in their updates? Maybe the drain is a result of some random beta testing which targets only a few people.

Profyler1
Contributor

android 9 is a hope and we discussed this also. only time will tell

anyway, switching brand is something that will end with the battery problem for you if you cant wait.

Alejo4
Visitor

Interesting theory!

Hellodmp
Visitor

I had the exact same issue since the update. Couldn't figure it out, so I switched back to my Moto G5 Plus, and I put the XZ1 in a drawer. My battery life is phenomenal now.

20july
Visitor

I have the xz1, anyway, I used to do 6 hours of active screen and I arrived at night with 20%, now, barely arriving at 20pm with  25% and only 4 hours of screen, this last update drastically worsened.

TK_Fin
Visitor

I had also high battery draining during last days but now battery drain seems to be stopped. But the big surprising is that in the support view it is informed that Android 9.0 is coming. Here is screen taken yesterday evening.

Ei automaattista vaihtoehtoista tekstiä saatavilla.

20july
Visitor

how many hours of screen can you do? with a complete recharge I mean...

yes android 9, but in november... and I have to stay 2 months with this problem?

TK_Fin
Visitor

Well, the battery drains started again Slightly_frowning_Face

The battery status is now 59 % and charged 8,5 hour ago... I have not used much phone. "Phone idle" wear battery most.