Join now - be part of our community!

Bluetooth codec stuck on SBC

sgiesen78
Visitor

Bluetooth codec stuck on SBC

First of all, kudos to Sony for the XZ3. For the world's best OLED screen and the most beautiful Sony phone yet.

My Bluetooth codec is stuck on SBC. I am using the in-ear Sony WF-1000X. AAC not possible. No matter what I try (tried to turn on Priority on Sound Quality in the Headphones Connect App).

I am coming from the Sony Xperia XZ and there it worked ....

Android 9 Problem? Anybody in here who has fixed this or connected by using LADAC or AAC ???

32 REPLIES 32
Strungout
Visitor

Just bought the WF-1000x wireless bluetooth buds and they are stuck on SBC audio codec. I have AAC codec on my XZ Premium, X and even Z5. I can see this in the Headphones Connect app.

Has anybody tried if AAC codec works on the XZ3? I've tried to change the audio codec to AAC in developer options, but it always reverts back to SBC. I'm on the latest firmware with November security patches. 

The sound quality on SBC is alright, but it is much better on AAC and it would be absolutely ridiculous if Sony stopped supporting AAC on the newest flagship.

Strungout
Visitor

I got the same exact problem with my XZ3. No AAC available. Works on every other Xperia device. Pie flaw? We should mass report this to Sony so it gets fixed... 

sgiesen78
Visitor

Yep.

Anybody else? Please drop a message.

Hogerio
Visitor

I have a Moto X4 and after it was upgraded to the Android Pie, the same problem occurred. My suggestion is that the problem is Google's development.

sgiesen78
Visitor

Yesterday something strange happened. I got my new MINI and my XZ3 connected via AAC with the sound system. So I have the idea that this issue is something specific to the headphones?! Anybody else can help?

Sethuna
Visitor

What exactly is MINI? 

Davelad
Visitor

A car.

Sethuna
Visitor

OK it's always good to clarify, I was trying to come up with a gadget called MINI since this is a smartphone thread.. 

ro6ot
Visitor

Have got the same issue with 750bt - only SBC... at the same time my SONY SBH80 manage to set ATPX codec. So I guess the issue is between A2DP protocol in new Android Pie and SONY headphones SW.

gregorg1
Visitor

Hello,

I got the same problem while doing calls with my Sennheiser Presence headset.

Horrible Lowband Sound quality while I´m using this headset.

But this can´t be a Androind 9 Problem, because headset works fine with my Samsung S8 on Pie.

A Sennheiser Momentum with APTX works fine with the XZ3.

Seems that XZ3 defaults to a low bandwith SBC if there is only SBC and AAC on the device available.

I really would like this to be fixed, because this is sound Quality of 1994.