Join now - be part of our community!

Games lagging when there is an overlay

Rii
Visitor

Games lagging when there is an overlay

Hi I have Xperia XZ Dual Sim and I frequently use the video call from messenger which pops up in a mini rectangle when mimimized. I tried playing while that pop up is open and to my surprise the game won't run smoothly. Basically it lags. I tried it when playing Vain glory, Game of Dice, or the games from messeger itself. I don't think its the messenger app... Is it a software problem? Is there a fix for that?
10 REPLIES 10
CameronT
Champion

Hi @Rii, I am sorry to hear about this. Slightly_frowning_Face

It sounds like Messenger is indeed the problem, unless you have any other apps that use overlay that you can test it with?

YoGem
Leader

@Rii, look that @CameronT is right, overlays requires a certain number of priority over background process, the game once the overlay is on will have to share cpu power with the foreground app. Plus you have also to consider that everything that is Facebook related is a memory and resource hog.
Rii
Visitor

I'll try to test it with other app and see if it is still lag.
YoGem
Leader

@Rii quick test... run a game in full screen mode, try to swipe down the notification area one time, it will show the soft button at the bottom of the screen, swipe again and try to pull down the notification area... what happen?

Rii
Visitor

There are times it does not move smoothly but it was only just seconds. I guess it was really the problem with Messenger. But there are times that there are delays when opening the menu button. Like my apps are too heavy to load. Is that natural? It's my first time to use an xperia so i can only compare it with my old phone which doesn't lag like that even with the video call from messenger and playing games.
CameronT
Champion

@Rii,

Do you have stamina mode or any other battery saving functions or apps running? These can reduce the performance of your phone.

Rii
Visitor

I have stamina mode on when my battery is at 15% below. Other than that none. Regarding with the running apps I always have my messenger on when playing...
YoGem
Leader

@Rii few more questions...

Do you use SD card? Are you moving heavy apps to the SD card? It may be that the issue is that apps are trying to access a SD card that it's too slow, not all SD cards are the same. 

I know you had other phones and that maybe those phones were not lagging as much as your XZ but after few Facebook/Messenger updates those apps are now really big problems, they can slow down also other flagship, their memory usage is insane as well they keep CPU usage up. Could you try to uninstall just the FB Messenger and checking if the performance improves? Then you can reinstall it... we just need to define what is the real problem here.

My suspects are a faulty/slow SD card and/or a 3rd party app.

Drive7726
Visitor

i got the same issue with my XZ dual sim. 

i try to do with my old xperia Z with the same application (same game and facebook messager).

lagging happen less than in XZ that was surprise me too.

i had try it in the safe mode but everything is the same.

this issue happen with another application like when you open video call overlay then use other application.

Lagging will happening