Join now - be part of our community!

name of saved pictures

Zerlumo
Visitor

name of saved pictures

Can anyone explain me the reason why I can not change the unusless default name dsc.. into a name that have date and hour directly from my camera app?

If I knew it before, probably I would have thought twice to buy it

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

It's normal naming, never have seen anything else, on cameras, on mobile phones, you name it.

In Windows as well as in Linux there are programs to batch rename the files.

I file my files with yyyymmdd_hhmmss_originalname_camera_used

Maybe there are camera apps that fulfill your wishes in the app store.

profile.country.GB.title
sadikyildiz
New

I couldn't find the file name recording options for video and photo files to the phone. I had this option on Samsung. I used and that is why I tried. If you can record files with unique date code which is including date and time-related file name then when you want to save them somewhere else as a backup it will be very useful. Now before filling all free place, I want to save to my backup all photos and videos but the camera is producing the same name for files as before with DSC numbers. So it is a very big crash in backup with same-named photo and video files. Because when I am moving all video and photo files to backup then camera starting to give same DSC numbers to new files. It is useless to record like this. Sony has to think about it. Because it will be very helpful for who has a huge photo and video collection. I have many GB back-ups for video and photos. And after every phone cleanup, I have to give a name for files one by one.

profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

I'm pretty sure it's been implemented that way in order to maintain consistency between the camera and phone file names (since that's the naming format Sony cameras use as well). it's been that way for years, even before Xperia times. my old Sony Ericsson W810i would save photos with the same DSC name dormat, too.

profile.country.GB.title
Lord_viridis
Expert

As @najodleglejszy and @Strampke mentioned, the naming structure is based on the industry supported naming of DSC, this is one of the few file naming options created when digital imaging first appeared. DSC or Digital Still Camera was the one that was widely adopted by many manufacturers, one of which was Sony.

Others have been using IMG, PICT, PIC, P, DSCM etc and a fair few more when it comes to the file type in RAW files.

Luckily, the DSC files contain the created date within the exif data so batch sorting will always be possible on many platforms.

profile.country.GB.title
sadikyildiz
New

During recording video or photo if the camera can create a unique name after DSC it will be easier to save and then after to find. For example DSC-DDMMYYYY-HHMMSS. 😧 Day, M: Month, Y: Year, H: Hour, M: Minute, S: Second. This name will be unique and it will refer the exact date and time. When you are backing it up it will be easier to save and to find it chronologically. On Samsung phones, you can decide how you want to give a name to video and photo files. It is very helpful. I advise to Sony to add one option like this.