Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Xperia XZ hardware issue, Device gets very hot when charging

profile.country.GB.title
eveglanc
New

Sony Xperia XZ hardware issue, Device gets very hot when charging

Bought a Sony Xperia XZ in 2017, The back of the phone gets very hot when charging, this over time has caused the battery to expand which has caused the screen to lift bottom half of phone.  Has anyone else come across this issue and how have they managed to resolve it.  Having paid full price for this phone, it should last longer than 3 years or am I being optimistic?

Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

I think I would be looking to NOT charge that phone any more, and let the battery discharge.

Either buy a replacement battery, or get it replaced from Sony.

Are you using the official charger, and cable?

All depends on how many cycles the phones gone through in those 3 years, and charging it from 0 to full will lessen the life too.

Best is between 20 and about 85%, where it only registers part cycle.

But I don't think batteries, well 3 year old ones, are covered by any warranty.

So you may be looking at getting it done in a local phone shop of attempt it yourself.

profile.country.GB.title
eveglanc
New

Thanks for your response, sadly this model doesn't allow for the battery to be removed and replaced by someone who doesn't have either the equipment or know what they are doing.

Yes to both cable and charger, have already taken it to a phone shop, they have said they may be able to remove the back and replace the battery (if a replacement battery exists) but cannot guarantee that they could re-seal it, as it would have been done at the factory.  More importantly, I was trying to establish if this was a common issue, not sure paying for someone to try and not be successful seems a waste of time and money.  I've been unable to contact Sony directly. If you know how I might be able to do this, that would be most helpful.  Won't be buying their phones again.

profile.country.GB.title
RottenFoxBreath
Enthusiast

You could always try Ebay for a battery ,some come with tools to pry the rear and battery off, and try it yourself.

Or supply the battery to the store. Not much to lose, as I see batteries starting at a few quid.

Either that or request a repair through Sony support, but I guess that would cost a bit.