Join now - be part of our community!

Xperia premium with 16:9 ratio display

profile.country.BE.title
Bart.gevaerts
Explorer

Xperia premium with 16:9 ratio display

When will there be a new Xperia premium with 16:9 ratio display? The latest series with 21:9 displays are very user unfriendly if you need to read a lot of documents, text, pdf...

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Bart.gevaerts,

@Bart.gevaerts  schrieb:

The latest series with 21:9 displays are very user unfriendly if you need to read a lot of documents, text, pdf...

please elaborate on that. How does the 21:9 aspect ratio make reading documents any worse than on a 16:9 display? 

I personally never had any issue reading documents on my Xperia 5.

- Nic

profile.country.BE.title
Bart.gevaerts
Explorer

Euh... Because they are too small to display a sentence... And in landscape you get headers, titles or URL on top, keyboard on the bottom and 1 line of text visible

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Bart.gevaerts,

for the Xperia 5 for example it is a 1080x1920 display with more height added on top (resolution wise it is 1080x2520) - so the sentence is not cut off in any way - you are aware you can freely zoom/readjust the viewport!?

For the latter issue the same applies - you can re-size the Google Keyboard (called Gboard). Also documents are usually read in landscape as it is closer to the original aspect ratio of the document.

Yet that is only my personal view towards your request/critique.

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@Bart.gevaerts 

it seems unlikely that it will change anytime soon. Sony has been pushing hard their other Sony departments expertise (cameras, tvs, etc) it seems that they'll keep this cinematic aspect ratio for a while. 

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hi @Uliwooly,

I really like the 21:9 aspect ratio as I use the split-screen all day long. Usually I have YouTube on top and another app below that when using it vertical. It is almost like having a phone with two screens as the lower part still has an almost exact 9:16 aspect ratio.

- Nic