Join now - be part of our community!

[Xperia XZ2 Compact] More MAC-addresses for Wifi in one phone?

SOLVED
profile.country.NL.title
BerndGaykema

[Xperia XZ2 Compact] More MAC-addresses for Wifi in one phone?

Hi,
Since the last update to build 52.1.A.0.672 my phone has another MAC address for wifi than what is visible in the ABOUT section.

I make use of reserved IP-addresses in my router and until short my phone had that reserved address based on the MAC address 3c:01:ef:06:xx:xx. Since the update my phone had a non-reserved IP-address, caused by the fact that the MAC address of the phone is now 1a:c2:4a:8b:xx:xx.
Isn't this a little strange??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

hi @BerndGaykema, Android 10 has introduced a privacy feature that randomizes the devices MAC address. in order to disable it, go Settings > Network & internet > WiFi, then tap on the network you're connected to, and go to Advanced > Privacy and pick the Use device MAC option.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.PL.title
najodleglejszy
Expert

hi @BerndGaykema, Android 10 has introduced a privacy feature that randomizes the devices MAC address. in order to disable it, go Settings > Network & internet > WiFi, then tap on the network you're connected to, and go to Advanced > Privacy and pick the Use device MAC option.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

This feature @najodleglejszy mentions has a very positive aspect included.

Imagine you're on a campsite with free wi-fi and restricted data per 24 hour.

You can obtain double data by simply changing your Mac address plus your device's name and log in again.

profile.country.NL.title
BerndGaykema

Wow, I didn't know of this feature!

I selected the MAC address of the device and now the phone is working again with the reserved IP-address.

Good to know that I can make use of it when I have restricted free wifi on a camping site.

Thanks !!!

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

For curious people there's so much more to explore.

Try Fing to explore your local network.

Best option is to take some time to explore the Support app on your device.

Time spent in the Support app is time well spent.

You'll enjoy your device and all it's options more than before.