Join now - be part of our community!

XZ Premium suddenly died

Eriche
Visitor

XZ Premium suddenly died

Hi Sony,

My phone just died, I’m just browsing at web and playing spotify, then suddenly, it just died. Blackout, no LED lights, not even charging. I’ve tried all possible button combination, but nothing.  

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

28 REPLIES 28
CameronT
Champion

Hi @Eriche, I am sorry to hear about this. 

Try these methods one after the other. Verify after each method whether the problem was solved, before trying the next one:
  • Charge the device for at least 30 minutes. If the battery is drained, it may take up to 30 minutes for your device to respond to the charging. During this time, the screen may remain completely dark, not showing the charging icon. Also note that it can take up to 4 hours for a completely drained battery to charge fully.
  • Make sure that you are using an original Sony charger and USB cable specifically intended for charging your device. Other chargers may be too weak or too strong as they may have a different electric current rating (mA). It is recommended that you use a charger that is plugged into a wall socket instead of using a computer (and USB cable) to charge your device.
  • Disconnect the USB cable from your Xperia™ device and then plug the cable into the micro USB port on the device again. Make sure that the charger cable is properly attached to the Micro USB port on your device, with no obstruction such as a protective case. Check that the charger is properly plugged into a wall socket with an active power source.
  • Make sure that the charger port is free from lint, dust and moisture. A blocked port can prevent the USB connector from fitting properly, and therefore prevent charging. Ensure that the USB port is completely dry, and gently remove any lint or dust using, for example, a wooden or plastic toothpick or a toothbrush.
  • For Xperia™ XZ and Xperia™ X Compact: If Battery Care is turned on, you may find that the device is not fully charged even after charging for several hours. The Battery Care feature controls the charging speed to increase battery lifespan and performance by learning your charging habits. Battery Care detects periods when the device battery is regularly left charging for a long time, and estimates the start and end of these periods. The rate of charging is then controlled during the next charging cycle so that your battery reaches 100% just before you disconnect the charger. If you disconnect the charger before the predicted time, the device may therefore not be fully charged. You can choose to turn off Battery Care.
  • Turn off your device and then turn it back on. By doing this you turn off all running applications and free up memory, which sometimes automatically solves the issue.
  • Try charging the Xperia™ device by connecting the USB cable to the USB port of a computer. If the device starts to charge, this may be a sign that the charger is not working properly.
  • If your Xperia™ device does not start to charge after you connect the USB cable to the computer, try this method again using another USB cable (if one is available). This is to determine if the USB cable defective.
  • Update your Xperia™ device to ensure that you have optimal performance and the latest enhancements.
None of the solutions worked. What do I do now?
  • Check the heat conditions to make sure the charging problem is not caused by a high battery temperature. If the battery temperature reaches the pre-set threshold, the device stops charging. During hot summer days the device can heat up very quickly, especially when placed near the windscreen in a car. If the phone is being charged in such conditions, the heat can cause the charging to stop or not to start at all. Let the device cool down, and then try to charge it.
  • Try to force the device to restart. No settings or personal data get deleted during a forced restart.
  • For devices with a Qualcomm processor: If a forced restart procedure as described above doesn't succeed in turning on your device, you should try another kind of forced restart - the 2-minute restart procedure.
  • If the problem with the device still remains after a forced shutdown, try to perform a software repair using the Xperia™ Companion application. Note! All data is deleted from the device when you perform a software repair. Photos, videos, music and documents stored on an external SD card are not deleted.

Below is more detailed information on how to perform some of the steps listed above.

Disabling Battery Care Xperia™ X Compact, Xperia™ XZ, Xperia™ XZs, Xperia™ XZ Premium, Xperia™ XZ1 / Xperia™ XZ1 Compact To enable or disable Battery CareNote! Battery Care is not available in the US market.
  1. From your Home screen, tap the Application screen icon.
  2. Find and tap Settings.
  3. Tap Battery, then tap Battery Care.
  4. Tap the slider to enable or disable Battery Care.
Forcing the device to restart Xperia™ devices with a built-in battery To force the device to restart
  • Press and hold down the power key and the volume up key at the same time until your device vibrates once. Release the keys at this point. The device restarts.
Xperia™ devices with a built-in battery and a dedicated reset keyTip: For most Xperia™ devices in this category, the power key and the volume up key method also works. To force the device to restart
  1. Detach the SIM card slot cover, alternatively (for example, Xperia™ SP, Xperia™ C and Xperia™ E4) remove the back cover 
  2. Using the tip of a pen or similar object, press and hold down the small OFF button (generally indicated by the text "OFF") until the device has emitted three vibrations, and then release the OFF button. The device turns off automatically.
  3. Charge the device until a charging icon appears on the screen.
  4. Turn on your Xperia™ device.
Xperia™ devices where you can remove the back cover and the battery To force the device to restart
  1. Remove the back cover of the device.
  2. Remove and reinsert the battery.
  3. Attach the back cover.
  4. Restart the device by pressing the power key. 
Forcing a 2-minute restartThis method is only available for Xperia™ devices with a Qualcomm processor. Xperia™ X series To force a 2-minute restart
  1. Press and hold down both the volume up key and the power key for 120 seconds, ignoring any vibrations.
  2. Release the keys. The device turns off automatically.
Other Xperia™ devices To force a 2-minute restart
  1. Detach the SIM card slot cover.
  2. Using the tip of a pen or similar object, press and hold down the small OFF button (generally indicated by the text "OFF") for 120 seconds (ignoring any vibrations), and then release the OFF button.

If you are having no success with the above steps, please contact your Local support team to arrange a repair.
Eriche
Visitor

Hi CameronT,

I’ve ensured and checked all the ports. I’m using the original charger and it works to other phone. I’ve already charged it for 5 hours yesterday and nothing happened. Before the phone died, it still have a 35% of battery life.

I can’t seem to see any OFF button at the sim/sd card slot

CameronT
Champion

@Eriche,

If the steps above do not resolve the issue then I recommend you contact your Local support team to arrange a repair assessment.

noor22
Visitor

i had the same issue with my xz premium and i tried everything 

my phone was 90% charged when i was watching a youtube video, it just  suddenly  died

when i try to turn it up the led flashing green for a fracture of sec and thats all nothing happened more 

did you find a solution for your problem ?

Scigi
Visitor

Yesterday my phone also just suddenly died. After trying for over a week trying to get the battery save mode it finally worked, a minute after my phone wouldn't charge and the mode,  lost. Then I tried to charge it with my boyfriends charger (same model,and it just died. I couldn't turn it on,and the I restarted it,and the temperature was fine and the pc couldn't help or anything of was written in the comments here. Today I tried to turn it on, and it didn't react, until several minutes later. I never had problems with my phone, so I am sad to see this, especially after three months of struggling with my boyfriends phone and the company he bought it from, because they sold him a phone with a defective GPS.

Blazzgrom
Visitor

Same problem ! I have 60% and he just died . Also i tried a few methods but nothing . I text to the company and in other forums but ..  still nothing . 

Tags (1)
Shadoxhurst
Visitor

The same thing happend to me a while back.

My XZ Premium was in perfect condition but it suddenly died. So I sent it to the repair center. I was told by them that the phone is unrepairable and I would have to pay almost 400£ to get a replacement.

I obviously refused and started using my older S4 again. 

mikisonata
Visitor

I'm gonna join this group of disappointed costumers. My xz premium also died after plugging it for a recharge, and I sent device to repair shop. They told me that CPU died and there is nothing they can do about it. Device is useless now and I am so disappointed because this was so expensive phone for me, and I have been a fan of a Sony since K700i. I am just glad that I am not alone with this problem, and I would like to advice Sony as a costumer that its not all about style of the phone, its more about a good quality components. Majority of a people cant afford to buy new phone that comes every year. So build it to last and do not build it so you can sell another device.  

Bruce14
Visitor

My XZ Premium is 15 months old and is in immaculate condition(Very babied). I have loved this phone and it has been flawless for the entire time. Today, it just died. I mean DOA. It had 80% charge and an hour later, I picked it up showing 11 on a red alert, and within a minute, it died in my hand, and hasn't even flickered. Tried to charge it and went through all the steps listed with 2 min start and I have Companion on my computer and no luck on anything. So depressing. It is out of warranty, but I am contacting customer support in hopes of some direction. I hope it works out with some type of good result. My 3rd Sony phone and I want to keep it! (Fingers crossed)