Join now - be part of our community!

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

Got a brand new XZ3 a few months ago, updated to Android 10 and since then I noticed  since security update on Android 10 Build No. 52.1.A.3.74, I was unable to switch Hey Google voice match back on - it seemed to turn itself off?

Factory reset, cache/data clear, uninstall updates on Google app and software repaired the phone but it just says 'Something went wrong. Try again.' when I try to turn on Hey Google.
thread-68560551-10175818439589214593.jpeg

Since then, Sony support have just sent me running in circles with resent troubleshoot email templates telling me to factory reset again.

Loads of other XZ3 and XZ2 users mentioned the issue here, is anyone else having it and have you had any luck talking to Sony or Google about it?

Google support thread where people are discussing:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Reddit post by me

93 REPLIES 93
profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

I spoke with Rick at Sony support today.  He asked for my phone “Build #” and Google “version number”, which I gave to him.  He said “Engineering is trying to resolve this issue by the next software update", likely by the end of the month.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

@Markalang from what I understand you have a XZ2 right? Given the knowledge the XZ2 and XZ3 both released in 2018, we can expect to see this software update delivered to them beyond their standard 2 years of software firmware updates which is terrific news!

Who knows we may even get Android 11.. although I would be worried that could bring more strange bugs like this one.

Either way, glad to hear there is a fix on the way!

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

One way to resurrect OK Google is this:

- goto settings and type assistant.

- tap on assistant settings

- tap on voice match

- tap on voice model

- tap on delete voice model

- tap on retrain voice model

The other thing to try is this:

- open settings and scroll to apps & notifications

- tap on 'see all ### apps'

- tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner and choose Show system

- scroll down to Google assistant and tap it

- go storage and cache 

- clear cache

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

@Strampke to be honest I am offended you think we haven't tried that before submitting a bug report to Sony, having Sony confirm there is an issue and then us having to chase the issue for months.

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Don't be offended at once please.

This is a forum that is visited by many.

Many of whom have far little experience with Xperia than you have.

The subject of this thread may attract people having poblems with OK Google.

That's why I have put my post to assist other visitors to be able to find a solution for failing OK Google on their device.

For people who have real trouble with malfunctioning OK Google there is a kind of workaround to make OK Google at least surface a bit.

- long push on the home screen

- choose home settings

- activate 'Show quick search box'

- on your home screen appears the quick search box

- by tapping on the microphone symbol you will have OK Google at hand and you can talk to your Google assistant.

Screenshot_20210217-225855.png

It's not the real thing, it brings some relief.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

That solution is simply no good when I am driving or doing something 'hands-free'  which requires the use of the Google Voice assistant. Like changing destination with Google Maps, replying to messages with or changing the current song playing.

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

Still getting those 7-working day email reminders from Sony letting me know that there is still no update 🙃 Is there any more news on this?

profile.country.GB.title
Craigorn

🤞you haven't heard anything back have you? Obviously same problem as yourself and many others. 

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

I last got an email from support on the 24th Feb to say there is still no update and they will email me again on Monday 8th of March to probably say there is still no update on the issue as they continue to drag heels on this.

I will post back when there is more to update, please keep nudging Sony support if you haven't heard back from them either!

profile.country.GB.title
Derria
Explorer