Join now - be part of our community!

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

XZ3 Android 10 - Unable to turn on 'Hey / OK Google'??!! - "Something went wrong. Try again."

Got a brand new XZ3 a few months ago, updated to Android 10 and since then I noticed  since security update on Android 10 Build No. 52.1.A.3.74, I was unable to switch Hey Google voice match back on - it seemed to turn itself off?

Factory reset, cache/data clear, uninstall updates on Google app and software repaired the phone but it just says 'Something went wrong. Try again.' when I try to turn on Hey Google.
thread-68560551-10175818439589214593.jpeg

Since then, Sony support have just sent me running in circles with resent troubleshoot email templates telling me to factory reset again.

Loads of other XZ3 and XZ2 users mentioned the issue here, is anyone else having it and have you had any luck talking to Sony or Google about it?

Google support thread where people are discussing:
Thread 1
Thread 2
Thread 3
Thread 4
Reddit post by me

93 REPLIES 93
profile.country.GB.title
Craigorn

Yes, I 2nd this. It doesn't work unfortunately. 

profile.country.GB.title
aztazman
Explorer

Sorry... my post was in response to Markalang's post regarding several apps now stopping unexpectedly. Just trying to help.

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Thanks for the suggestion, aztazman.  However, that fix didn't work.  I uninstalled/reinstalled about 8 apps, and they're working again.  Thought this might be the result of a "hey google" fix, but still doesn't work.

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

The update is here!  About to try it.  Anyone else?

profile.country.GB.title
Craigorn

How did you find this out? Was it an automatic notification? Or you looked for it manually?

profile.country.GB.title
Markalang

Automatic notification to restart the phone.  Took about 2 minutes.  "ok google" now works, with a slight and acceptable glitch.  If the screen is off, then saying "ok google" wakes it up, but you have to say it a second time in order to start the assistant.  If the screen is already on, it works the first time.  I'll live with this.  Btw, I am in the US, so not sure if the update has reach other areas yet.

profile.country.GB.title
Craigorn

That is a 'glitch' I'm happy to deal with. Thanks for the reply. I'm in the UK so hopefully it's not too far behind you guys. Happy days!! 

profile.country.GB.title
ROBYER1

UK user here too just checked for system updates in the Support Sony app and nothing yet. Fingers crossed it is making its way across the water to us as we speak then I can safely drive my car and use Google hands free again lol

profile.country.GB.title
splash_cn
Explorer

Happy to report that I got pushed the update and 'ok google' hotword works again without issue. I'm not having any noticeable glitches.

Update version 52.1.A.3.137 for Xperia XZ2 compact. I am a US user and mobile carrier is Google Fi.

Good luck to everyone! and let's keep watching the situation in case it got botched again. We know how bugs work right 😉

Screenshot_20210326-075936.png

profile.country.US.title
Kavu-2
Explorer

USA H8314 XZ2 Compact user - Verizon service

Successful system update to 52.1.A.3.137

'Hey Google" working w/o glitches (ie screen on or off)

TY to OP for following thru w/Sony and prodding them to fix this, much appreciated. And thanks to Sony for doing your job albeit much delayed.