Join now - be part of our community!

Z5 doesn't handle the unaware touch at the edge of screen?

SOLVED
MagicKyle
Visitor

Z5 doesn't handle the unaware touch at the edge of screen?

My palm always touchs the bottom-right corner of touchscreen involuntarily. It's really a bad experience.

palm-bottom-right-screen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@MagicKyle

I can't recreate this, for something odd to happen I have to place that part of my palm on the screen not the edge, in other words my thumb will be touching most of the top of the screen, my palm will be covering half the bottom right side of the screen, if I do this while opening the home launcher I can still flip left to right, if I place more of my palm on the screen then it doesn't react but it will be covering 1/3 of the bottom part of the film, again, not the edge as on your picture/video. 

The only phone were I was able to recreate this was with the Xperia T2 Ultra, but I suppose the reason its the screen size. 

I took it a step further

Settings > about phone > diagnostics > test > test touchscreen 

I was not able to recreate the issue, only with the Xperia T2 Ultra if I was trying to reach anything on the top left side of the screen, but not by just touching the edge. 

Since the iPhone 6 has a 4.7in screen and the Z5 a 5.2in screen, that could be the cause, not a problem with the device but the size. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@MagicKyle

So the issue is that the touchscreen works as it should, since it detects your palm, that's not an issue, what you could do is hold the phone differently, you will have the same experience if you use a phone with the same screen size. 

MagicKyle
Visitor

@uliwooly

But the same gesture works well in iPhone & iPad.

I've made a comparison here -> https://youtu.be/P0Mwyj4A_7A

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@MagicKyle

I don't see what am I looking at, I thought it was a video but its a video of one image? I don't get it. 

MagicKyle
Visitor

@uliwooly

Home page of Amazon was opened in Chrome. When my palm tapped the bottom-right edge of touchscreen,

• iOS recognized the tap which was caused by a palm rather than a finger, so it made no reaction.
  • Z5 captured the tap which had held for a while and the tap was on a hyperlink, so it poped the menu up.

I believe iOS's behavior is right.

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@MagicKyle

I don't think that's the reason, I think it's more of the bezel size, do contact Sony directly with your feedback >> Local support

MagicKyle
Visitor

"Xperia Care" suggested me to try a phone case. lol

Screen Shot 2015-12-22 at 15.09.33.png

MagicKyle
Visitor

@uliwooly

I found a video which shows Z3 has the excellent anti-unaware touch capability. In this video, Z3 has the same behavior as iOS does.

https://youtu.be/ZMtWkVfxgGk

profile.country.GB.title
Uliwooly
Expert

@MagicKyle

I can test it, just be more specific on what you want me to test, I'll try to recreate this on a Z, Z3, Z5 and Z5 premium and iphone 6 

The time I do see this action is if I use my T2 Ultra, but then again the screen size of this device is 6in

MagicKyle
Visitor

So kind you are! @uliwooly

Please test it: one hand(palm) is pressing on the edge of touchscreen while the other hand(finger) is tapping (& moving) on the touchscreen.

xperia_z5_press_01.jpg

For example, On the home page of my Z5, once a very little piece of skin touchs the screen edge unintentionally (hard to avoid it), android launcher will enter the edit mode if the touch last for seconds or launch an App if the touch is on an icon by coincidence.

On web pages, the same gesture may trigger hyperlinks if the touch is on a link or scale page if another finger is moving.