Join now - be part of our community!

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

SOLVED
sonrjl
Explorer

Sony RDR HXD970 lost all digital channels 19 July 2013

My Sony RDRHXD970 lost all of it's digital channels last night 19th July 2013.

I could still watch programs that I had recorded, but although the digital channel guide showed channel titles, when selected each channel showed no picture. I tried rescanning and a factory reset, but each time after the channel rescan it said that it had detected no new channels, but did appear to show the correct ones whilst scanning. However, after scanning, pressing enter to continue the process, the unit appears to freeze, no picture displays and it shows "Tuning" on the front display, which does not change. Powered off/on it now shows "Update" on the display and no picture.

Given that this seems to have happened to a large number of people at the same time, this must be a bug in the firmware concerning the date or the Digital program guide (EPG) perhaps.

Given that Sony's reputation has taken a battering since the security breach in 2011, I would hope they would try harder now concerning good after sales and customer service. Hopefully  someone from Sony is checking these messages and investigating the issue and hopefully making a new software update available or other fix to solve the problem.

78 REPLIES 78
MinaH131
Explorer

But isn't this an old update?  It says 2010.  Problem is I can't check what version I have as my machine has given up the ghost! 

paander3756
Explorer

I though that the firmware update might do the trick. But the problem that the firmware reports to fix is from 2010. Why are we suddenly all experiencing digital channel loss all at the same time (evening of 19th July).

I'm trying the firmware update anyway this morning, but I'm not convinced this is the issue.

Hope this gets fixed as the HDX970 has been a fantastic machine to date.

Paul Anderson

profile.country.GB.title
stevied

My model is an RDR HX870. If you look at the topic list this seems to have happened to every user in the UK. I reckon that the EPG has gone duff. No one at Sony is available for comment and the help line only works during the week and the email helpline is closed for maintenance. Sounds as though Sony have a big problem here. I am not holding out any hope of a quick fix.

I have just called the Sony shop here in Bristol who don't know anything about it. They gave me the Sony technical number which, of course is only open during the week! It looks like we are stuck with this. I suggest you all phone your local Sony centre as they may know secret numbers to call.

The guy at the sony centre says that it mat suddenly come back on. Mind you if they have all gone home at Sony they won't know about it. Our only hope is that some employee will have the same problem!

paander3756
Explorer

People posting here may also be interested to know that there are a ton of people with HXD870 posting in another thread with the same problem.

All lost their digital channels last night (19th).

Looks like this is a major problem across a whole family of products.

One guy thinks it might be an issue with EPG.

erwilki47
Explorer

Hi,

Same here. Sony RDR HXD995 lost all channels on 19 July. I tried the update but that didn't work. It didn't go to completion. It now says "Update" on the front panel. I can't turn it on or off, can't eject the DVD or anything. It has said "Update" for hours now. At least I'm not alone. Hopefully it will fix itself shortly.

Dave

Anonymous
Not applicable

More threads at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-recorders/1795677-sony-870-all-sony-hxd-dvd-recorders-no-...

-----------------------------------------

According to a post by captainpacific on the AV Forum:

"Temporary partial fix for this:

I tuned my Pioneer DVR-560 (the Sony's should be very similar or identical) as a French person - so selecting "France" when doing a replace channels re-tune. Don't worry, it won't all come up in French - but it did produce all 118 viewable channels - no more blank screens!

However, the EPG is still screwed, so I can't set recordings through that. But, manually setting recordings does work."

http://www.avforums.com/forums/19335142-post43.html

http://www.avforums.com/forums/19335142-post50.html

I lost all my digital channels last night too.

I've see the firmware update but I don't know how to burn to a cd (also, I don't have any cds only dvds) and the instructions seem very complicated.

It is ridiculous that Sony doesn't provide support at the weekend like most other manufacuturers.

paander3756
Explorer

Just tried updating the firmware to 1.70.

This has made no difference: still not channels.

So whatever the latest problem it is not fixed by the 2010 firmware update. 

Mine also says update permanently and won't do anything.

Nan943
Explorer

I have 2 dvd recorders RDR-HXG790 and RDR-HXD890. Both have been on continuious update since last night and I can't operate it in any way with the remote or manually. IIt seems to be locked in continuous update mode.

Do I unplug it or leave it as it is all over the weekend until Sony support are open on Monday morning.?