Join now - be part of our community!

Dongle to connect a Sony 3D TV Model Number KDL40HX803U

SOLVED
JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Dongle to connect a Sony 3D TV Model Number KDL40HX803U

Can anybody out there help me! A few years ago I purchased a Sony 3D TV Model as subject title. I am now looking to purchase a USB Dongle to insert into the telly that will connect my TV to my WI - FI connection!! Does it have to be a Sony Dongle or can it be a more cost effective universal dongle. If anybody is out there that could give me some sensible and decent advice & any recommendations that would be great!!

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@JSIDNEY1974 wrote:
Can anybody out there help me! A few years ago I purchased a Sony 3D TV Model as subject title. I am now looking to purchase a USB Dongle to insert into the telly that will connect my TV to my WI - FI connection!! Does it have to be a Sony Dongle or can it be a more cost effective universal dongle. If anybody is out there that could give me some sensible and decent advice & any recommendations that would be great!!

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY.

Hi James,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately a universal USB dongle will not work with your Bravia in order to connect wirelessly you'll need to purchase the UWA-BR100..

Or alternatively use a set of homeplugs, something like the TP-Link HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit,(example only as you may find cheaper alternatives) allows you to share data between your router & the device which is connected to the other homeplug via your home's existing AC power sockets..

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@JSIDNEY1974 wrote:

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY.

Hi James,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

Unfortunately a universal USB dongle will not work with your Bravia in order to connect wirelessly you'll need to purchase the UWA-BR100..

Or alternatively use a set of homeplugs, something like the TP-Link HomePlug AV Ethernet Adapter Starter Kit,(example only as you may find cheaper alternatives) allows you to share data between your router & the device which is connected to the other homeplug via your home's existing AC power sockets..

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Only the Sony USB Wifi Dongle will work.  The model you are after is - UWA-BR100

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/tpa-other-tv-accessories/uwa-br100

Amazon however sell it a little cheaper:

www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-UWABR100-Bringing-Wireless-Internet/dp/B0036XX4G0/

Cheers

EDIT: Beat me to it Thalamus :slight_smile:

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Many Thanks, you sound like you know what you are on about!?

I have seen the UWA - BR100 for £50 on Amazon, is that about the going rate.?!

I may purchase one of these. I do however have a 15m long internet cable! That will connect from my router into the back of the TV would this work!!?? As a temporary measure!! Thanks for your time and help it is appreciated!!

Finally one more question I have connected my Sony 3D telly ref KDL40HX803U, To a Sony DVD Recorder Ref HXD 870! It does work and we can play back previous recordings! However, when we come to record programs on the timer recording list no programs show?! Can you advise how to get the program guide back up!?

Again thanks for your time & help.

Kind Regards.

JAMES SIDNEY!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

@JSIDNEY1974 wrote:
I have seen the UWA - BR100 for £50 on Amazon, is that about the going rate.?!

Unfortunately that is the going rate.  It was much higher a while ago though!

@JSIDNEY1974 wrote:
I may purchase one of these. I do however have a 15m long internet cable! That will connect from my router into the back of the TV would this work!!?? As a temporary measure!! Thanks for your time and help it is appreciated!!

Yep, that will work.  However, if at all possible, I would try and make it a more perminant solution instead of temporary.  A cabled (wired) solution is always better than wireless.  Thalamus suggestion of the homeplugs is worth consideration.

@JSIDNEY1974 wrote:
Finally one more question I have connected my Sony 3D telly ref KDL40HX803U, To a Sony DVD Recorder Ref HXD 870! It does work and we can play back previous recordings! However, when we come to record programs on the timer recording list no programs show?! Can you advise how to get the program guide back up!?

Another forum member will hopefully assist you on that one (I dont know!).

Cheers.

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Many Thanks, for that bit of advice! I will phone Sony Help Desk on Monday to sort the DVD Recorder out!

Final question is the Sony Dongle a good solution?! I've seen a few reviews on Amazon Raving about the dongle & some reviews stating it is poor! What would your advice be?!

How much would the wired connection suggestion cost?!

Again your help, advice & time is appreciated!!!

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY!
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mum has the wireless dongle and has had very little trouble at all.  Once I had to use the break away cable attachment (included) to move it away from the TV for awhile.  Other than that, she is using her TV with the router in another room with no problems.

I have also heard all the stories and reviews too.  As I was the one that bought the dongle for her (for her birthday).  So I was apprehensive at first.  But all is good.

For me - I have 1 network cable from my router, linking to a gigabit switch at my TV (I have 4 networked devices at the TV end)

Option 1

If your router and TV is in the same room, I really cannot see problems with a wireless dongle.  If you purchase the dongle online, you do have a 7 day distance selling legislation. (Cost = Approx £52)

Option 2

If your router is in the same room, you can get a long network lead and "hook" it round the skirting boards (or somewhere equally out of the way) and connect the TV to the router (Cost = Approx £6)

Option 3

If you have a spare power point near your router and another spare one near your TV (NOT on a powerboard though), you might consider Homeplugs (Cost = Approx £20 +)

So the question comes down to - Where is your router in relation to TV? 

Same room = Option 2 if possible, Option 1 would work as well.

Different rooms = Option 3 preferred, Option 1 only if you have thin walls (ie not stone/brick)

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Again absolutely brilliant advice. See what you think, our router is in the hallway and at the start of the external phone line we have. The router is connected to our only phone line socket we have. The hallway would be, I would imagine to run a long cable up over our door, along the skirting into our living room door and to our telly would be approx. a maximum of say 8 - 10 m. For WI -FI purposes it is only say to our telly as the crow flies 4 - 6 m Max, however has to go through an internal brick skin wall, or through a door!!!

In your opinion what do you think is best. How do the sockets work, I thought you only needed one, I.e. Plug one in by the telly & run a network cable from that plug into the telly?!

May I say I think this forum is brilliant, you get genuine advice from people without having to pay for it or expecting anything in return. In this day and age that is fantastic. All your help & time is appreciated!!

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

As far as I see it, you really only got one option....and that is Homeplugs.

• Wireless Dongle is out, Wifi do not like internal brick walls.  It may work, but you may also have a lot of hassles too, more so if you shut the door.
  • A single ethernet cable - is a cheap solution (and will do the job),but depending on how you run the cable around, it may not look pretty.  Also ensure that the door doesnt shut on the cable, and "cut" it !!  I personally like neat cables and neat cable runs.  Your call on that one.

So we have left is homeplugs.  There are a couple of varieties.  You need 2 of them (ie a pair).  One for the TV side of things, and one on the routers side.  Dont worry, the packs include 2. The other thing with Homeplugs is, is that they need to be on the same electrical circuit.  Hard to know for most people.  But in general, power points are normally on the same circuit.

• If you are on a tight budget and have a spare powerpoint on the wall (not on a power board) - the ones that Thalamus suggested would be fine.  See LINK.
  • If you dont have a spare powerpoint on the wall, this one would do the trick, as it has a pass-through socket. See LINK.
  • If you want to spend a litle extra (which costs approx the same as the wifi dongle. See LINK.

As always - If you purchase over the internet, you have a 7 days distance selling legislation, where you can return the product.

Anyway, hope that helps you.

And yes, I do like this forum too :slight_smile:

Cheers.

JSIDNEY1974
Explorer

Again absolutely brilliant advice! I assume the more expensive ones would be better!:-)

Just to get my head round it, how does it work?!?!

I assume a cable from the TV goes into the plug & you plug it in at the TV end of things \ & the same for the WI - FI end of things as well. They somehow connect the TV & ROUTER TOGETHER?! Is that correct?!

Also do you need 2 smallish Ethernet cables as well, with connectors at both ends!! To connect into the socket & tv & To connect to the socket & the Wireless Router?!

Kind Regards

JAMES SIDNEY

Again thanks for your time and brilliant help.