Join now - be part of our community!

4k 30p?

4k 30p?

Hi Guys!

Can anyone help me?
I am trying to set my updated to 1.01v a7III to record in 4k 30p or S&Q 120p but i can't do it. I have seen on many videos that some guys are actually doing it but for some reason I can't. Does anyone have any idea how to do it?

Thanks a lot!

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @KarolCiesla,

although I don't own an a7III I'm pretty sure that you need to alter the setting under "Setup -> NTSC/PAL Selector" to NTSC.

That allows you to use frame rates which are typical for NTSC regions like the US and others. Those frame rates are (nowadays) 30 fps (formerly 29.97), 60 fps (formerly 59.94) and 120 fps (formerly unused). In case that option is set to PAL, you're stuck with frame rates like 25, 50 and 100.

Well, in all countries in Europe power supply is using/offering 230 V (today) / 50 Hz. That's why PAL is using frame rates like 25, 50 or 100. In e. g. the US they're using 110/120 V / 60 Hz and therefore the adequate frame rates are 30, 60 or 120 fps (factors or multiplicators of 60).

The only drawback with frame rates like 30p / 60p and 120p is, that you might (well, rather likely) see flicker when using them in 230 V / 50 Hz countries and when filming in situations where there's used artificial lighting. The reason is quite clear: Imagine a shooting in any European indoor location which is lit by "normal" lamps only. Those lamps go on and off a hundred times a second (that's 50 Hz, well, physics...). Now, when your camera is set to e.g. 60p there will likely be frames taken when actually the light of the lamps was off and that will most likely be noticeable when watching the clip.

Anyhow, when using those NTSC frame rates outdoors, you'll be benefitting of higher frame rates, especially when motion is involved. However, I do not recommend mixing sources with different frame rates. Therefore you should decide for PAL or NTSC frame rates before starting your project.

Cheers,

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @KarolCiesla,

although I don't own an a7III I'm pretty sure that you need to alter the setting under "Setup -> NTSC/PAL Selector" to NTSC.

That allows you to use frame rates which are typical for NTSC regions like the US and others. Those frame rates are (nowadays) 30 fps (formerly 29.97), 60 fps (formerly 59.94) and 120 fps (formerly unused). In case that option is set to PAL, you're stuck with frame rates like 25, 50 and 100.

Well, in all countries in Europe power supply is using/offering 230 V (today) / 50 Hz. That's why PAL is using frame rates like 25, 50 or 100. In e. g. the US they're using 110/120 V / 60 Hz and therefore the adequate frame rates are 30, 60 or 120 fps (factor or multiplicator of 60).

The only drawback with frame rates like 30p / 60p and 120p is, that you might (well, rather likely) see flicker when using them in 230 V / 50 Hz countries and when filming in situations where there's used artificial lighting. The reason is quite clear: Imagine a shooting in any European indoor location which is lit by "normal" lamps only. Those lamps go on and off a hundred times a second (that's 50 Hz, well, physics...). Now, when your camera is set to e.g. 60p there will likely be frames being taken when actually the lights were off and that will most likely be noticeable when watching the clip.

Anyhow, when using those NTSC frame rates outdoors, you'll be benefitting of higher frame rates, especially when motion is involved. However, I do not recommend mixing sources with different frame rates. Therefore you should decide for PAL or NTSC frame rates before starting your project.

Cheers,

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)