Join now - be part of our community!

A580 Green Focus Square in OVF...missing ?

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

A580 Green Focus Square in OVF...missing ?

Not sure if I am just losing my marbles. But in Live view on the LCD when the lens is focused I get a green focus square. But using the OVF I now get a brief red flicker of the square and thespot focus square stays grey. The camera appears to be focussing OK and its only in OVF that the square doesn't change colour to green. I get a bleep and the green dot stops flahing next to the ap number.

Is this how it should work and am I imagining the focus square turning green in the OVF before ?

Have I changed something on the camera to stop this happening if not ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.de_DE.title
Jules74
Visitor

Hi gastyli,

your A580 is perfectly fine, no need to return it to the shop.

The AF area should light up in red for focus confirmation when using the OVF. When using the LCD, they light up in green. Unfortunately the manual is not at all clear about this, but you find a hint about the red light in the OVF on page 48 of the English manual. Guess the manual could do with some revision...

I have the previous model, A550, and it is exactly the same.

Cheers

Jules

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello gastyli :slight_smile:

Just to make sure that a setting hasn't been changed accidentally, have you tried putting the camera back to its factory defaults? As far as I am aware, the focus square should turn green in the OVF in a similar manner to the LCD screen.

Hope this helps,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

Thanks Simon.

Yes, I've tried  a factory reset but no joy. Even in Auto mode OVF refuses to display the AF square in green. Its still under warranty so I guess its back to the shop.....

Jules74
Visitor

Hi gastyli,

your A580 is perfectly fine, no need to return it to the shop.

The AF area should light up in red for focus confirmation when using the OVF. When using the LCD, they light up in green. Unfortunately the manual is not at all clear about this, but you find a hint about the red light in the OVF on page 48 of the English manual. Guess the manual could do with some revision...

I have the previous model, A550, and it is exactly the same.

Cheers

Jules

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer

Thanks Jules.... I figured I was losing my mind :dizzy:

It's weird though as I use the OVF most of the time but have spent a couple of days using the LCD becasue of angles of shot and the like. Guess I just got used to the green OK AF point.......

Had the A580 for about 10 months. Best camera I have ever bought.....

Thanks again

Jules74
Visitor

Hi gastyli,

don't worry, that happens to all of us every now and then...:smileywink:

I am glad I could help!

Have fun with your A580!

Jules

profile.country.GB.title
gastyli
Explorer