Join now - be part of our community!

A7ll Multi metering ael error

profile.country.GB.title
Photonews
Explorer

A7ll Multi metering ael error

I have discovered that when my A7ll is set to Multi zone metering and I press the AEL button to lock exposure before recomposing a shot, the aperture value changes from the chosen setting to one that underexposes by 1 or 2 thirds of a stop. This of course is useless, the whole point of AEL lock is just that you lock the aperture value at the desired setting.

If I change the metering mode to Center or Spot this phenomenon does not manifest itself and the AEL lock works perfectly well, has anyone else encountered this and if so have you found a work-around to make AEL lock accurate in Multi zone metering mode?

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Mick_D

Hi @Photonews, welcome to the Community.

I've not been able to reproduce the problem, but it may be worth resetting the camera to see if that changes this behaviour. 

Let me know how you get on.

Mick

profile.country.GB.title
Photonews
Explorer

Thanks for your reply Mick, I appreciate you trying to replicate the behaviour I describe. I have spent some time getting the various custom settings to my satisfaction and the prospect of returning the camera to factory defaults is not one that appeals to me, but I suppose it's worth a try. The trouble is I don't like the default settings and I will want to set custom preferences again, so if one, or a combination of some of these is to blame I'll just end up with the same problem returning! I'll give it a try though to see what happens and let you know.

Cheers

Andrew

profile.country.GB.title
Photonews
Explorer

OK, so here's the issue and solution, just for reference.

I had my A7ll set to toggle AEL in custom settings using the spot circle, which is why when using spot or centre metering the issue didn't manifest. I changed the custom AEL setting from spot, to the regular AEL option and this now allows AEL to be selected correctly in multi metering mode without the camera overriding the users decision.