Join now - be part of our community!

Is Sony SLT-A55 GPS assist data localised ?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
andywebster
New

Is Sony SLT-A55 GPS assist data localised ?

I own a Sony Alpha A55 SLT which has built in GPS functionality. The Sony PMB launcher allows GPS assist data to be downloaded to the camera to speed up triangulation  of GPS satellites.

Both the PMB software and the camera have location settings. Is the GPS assist data localised based on these settings?

The reason I ask is this. If I am going abroad does it pay to change the location settings to that of my destination and update the GPS assist data before going away therefore speeding up triangulation when I arrive?

Or is the GPS assist data the same the world over so updating it without changing location settings is just as good?

Any explanation of what the GPS assist data actually contains would be useful. I can't think what data regarding GPS changes month on month.

Does anyone know ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
GoNz0-
Explorer

the assist data helps the device by telling it where to look in the sky to get a quick GPS fix, swapping your location will do nothing, expect a long wait the 1st time you power up in a new location (even longer when its another country)

after that it will assume you are in the same place and lock on quicker while you are on holiday.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hi Andy - welcome to the Sony Forums.

Just to keep you updated, I am currently trying to get an answer to this question regarding localisation settings on your camera. I will return to this thread once I have some more information for you.

Thanks,

Simon

GoNz0-
Explorer

the assist data helps the device by telling it where to look in the sky to get a quick GPS fix, swapping your location will do nothing, expect a long wait the 1st time you power up in a new location (even longer when its another country)

after that it will assume you are in the same place and lock on quicker while you are on holiday.