Join now - be part of our community!

NEX 5 Screen Issues

profile.country.en_GB.title
adriand100
Visitor

NEX 5 Screen Issues

I see this subject has been raised before but thought i'd ask. My Nex 5 screen is showing signs of delamination round the edge of what i believe is a protective film . This seems to be a problem with  this camera. Is there an easy fix, in other words attempt to remove the film myself, or should I return this to Sony for repair ?

Thanks

adriand100

7 REPLIES 7
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello adriand100 - welcome to the Sony Forums.

May I ask how long you have had this camera. The only reason for this question is that usually even small attempts to 'self-repair' can invalidate a warranty if it is still under guarantee.

Thanks

Simon

adriand100
Visitor

Thanks for the response Simon. The camera was bought the first week of September last year so still has a few months left on the warranty. Fair comment about tampering with it whilst it's still under warranty. I will contact Sony and ask if it can be repaired before September. Failling that I will nurse it along until it gets so bad that I will have to attempted a repair.

This has been discussed on other forums and I believe their is a film that can be removed. Most people then fit a protective glass screen. My posting was to see if others on here have had the same problems and any possible resolutions.

Adrian

blaireau_photo
Visitor

That's definitely the best idea in the meantime for you - if it is still under a valid warranty you have nothing to lose by contacting Customer Services first of all.

In case you haven't got round to it yet, the details are here:

http://support.sony-europe.com/contacts/index.aspx?site=odw_en_GB

Thanks

Simon

adriand100
Visitor

Thats exactly what I done Simon. I have been asked to send it in for repair under warranty. Sometimes the obvious eludes me !!

Thanks

Adrian

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Glad to hear you have got it sorted out.

I wouldn't worry about the obvious - a moment of curiosity when peeling back the film can have expensive consequences! Unfortunately, I know of what I speak from my impatient, university days. :smileyblush:

Simon

profile.country.de_DE.title
svaens
New

I have the same thing.

I am on the edge of warrantee,

but figure, it is only the edge, and won't progress further than that.

Once it is all gone, it'll be a nice shiny silver colour.

In any case, I am not trusting enough to send it in for maintainence.

I want to use it, not wait around, for what is a very minor problem.

However, I would hope for future users sake, that Sony fixes this problem. Not everyone will be so calm about it.

adriand100
Visitor

Fair enough.. If it doesn't worry you that's fine. I reckoned it might get worse so decided to contact Sony. It has been with them for the past week for a warranty repair. They estimate 5 days to get it back to me so should have it soon. They use a Freepost service in the UK but you can pay extra to cover for loss or damage.

I agree that the issue should be addressed. Not sure if it's just a small amount of units affected or more widespread. Also I've purchased a clip on screen to protect it further on its return !!