Join now - be part of our community!

Nex 7 Handbook. Inaccurate "Table of contents"

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
mapears69
Visitor

Nex 7 Handbook. Inaccurate "Table of contents"

The Nex 7 manual (or handbook) has a "Table of contents" at the beginning. However the page numbers are not consecutive and the pages 60-173 are missing in the Table of contents although the actual pages are present in the handbook itself.

this does not really matter for the downloaded manual because one can use the sidebar to find topics of interest, but I have printed out the handbook to carry about with me and the printed table of contents is useless in this situation.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello again :slight_smile:

One other possible solution for this may be that on most mobile devices, it is possible to search for text within a PDF file and then jump straight to it (my iPhone is capable of this).

Once you are viewing the file within your iPhone (I use an app called PDF Reader Lite for this kind of thing) you can then open the downloaded PDF manual and search for specific text within it.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello mapears69 - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

It's great that you have posted these comments about the user manual - various Sony employees view these forums on a regular basis and all feedback such as this is taken on board and passed through to the appropriate department.

Did you have the same problem with the version of the manual supplied in the box i.e. how is the table of contents printed in there?

Thanks,

Simon

mapears69
Visitor

This is not about the small, printed 62 page "Instruction Manual Operations E-mount" that comes in the box with the camera. This really only covers "Getting Started' and some advanced operations using the major functions". It does have an alphabetical index at the back. (Page 56-58)

My problem is with the "Handoook' which is pesent as a PDF on the CD which is also in the box. I downloaded this handbook onto my computer (a Mac Pro) and can read it and use it from the computer screen. As a PDF it can be opened and read and also has a sidebar index (or "Table of contents".) Clicking on this index takes one to the subject concerned on a particular numbered page. e.g. clicking on "Wind Noise reduct.' in the side bar takes one to Page 141 in the handbook which is titled "Wind Noise Reduct." So far so good!

However, still on the computer and using the PDF, If one clicks on "Table of contents" in the left sidebar one gets a Table of contents but the page numbers are not sequential and the pages from 60 to 174 are not listed. So, not a problem using the PDF on the computer!

However - I want to carry the handbook when I am out and about taking photos, or for example when I am on holiday and do not have access to my computer. So I printed out the PDF and got a man who is an expert printer to make it into an A5 book. Obviously, the printed book does not have the sidebar that is available on the computer so if I want to find, for example, "Wind Noise Reduct." there is no way of knowing which page it is on.

I thought maybe I could get round this by putting the PDF on my iPhone but it doesn't show the sidebar either.

I think the answer is relatively simple though. All it needs is for the PDF manual to have an alphabetical index at the end of it as does the small, printed 62 page "Instruction Manual Operations E-mount I described in my first paragraph above.

I have to add I find the NEX 7 to be unbelievably amazing and I am just beginning to get my head around its wonderful performace. It is, however, complicated and has a long and steep learning curve and at my age (71) I find I have to repeatedly go to the manual because I have forgotten how to do something I knew how to do the day before!  If I am out and about or on holiday with my camera and my printed PDF manual I cannot look it up if it is on a page between 59 and 174! An additional alphabetic index on the PDf file would solve this problem.

I think that there are computer programs that can automatically generate an alpphabetic index from a from a PDF or other computer file. I'm sure your experts at SONY could do this easily, quickly and efficiently. Can you send me the first copy please?  🙂

Thank you for your quick reply. I fyou need further information please just ask.

Maurice

blaireau_photo
Visitor

One other possible solution for this may be that on most mobile devices, it is possible to search for text within a PDF file and then jump straight to it (my iPhone is capable of this).

Once you are viewing the file within your iPhone (I use an app called PDF Reader Lite for this kind of thing) you can then open the downloaded PDF manual and search for specific text within it.

Thanks,

Simon

mapears69
Visitor

Thanks, simon. I'll try that. Doen't really help with the printed handbook though!

Maurice

mapears69
Visitor

Tried that. It works. Even better than searching for text, if I go to the file and tap the "Book" icon I can go to the Table of contents (same as in the "Table of contents" on my computer) and find what I want.

Thank you again.

I still think the Handbook needs an alphabetical index at the back though!    :-))

mapears69
Visitor

Simon,

I am sooooooo embarrassed! I was looking at my Handbook PDF on my computer and noticed, for the first time, that the last entry in the Table of contents in the left sidebar is "Index". When I looked at it, it is indeed an aplhabetical index. it even shows on my iPhone when I look in the correct place! And it is the last page in "printed" Handbook. 

The only excuse I can give for being so stupid is that that partiular item was off the bottom of my screen on my computer and I never needed to scroll down there! :-))

Please could you delete all  this thread so no more of the world will think I am an idiot!

Thank you for your help and understanding anyway. I can just imagine all the clever people at SONY saying "What the hell is he talking about."

Maurice

blaireau_photo
Visitor

This sort of thread would never really get deleted - by their very nature these forums are there for the whole world to look at and refer to and this means that if someone comes up with the same problem in the future, they will be able to find the solution without having to start a new discussion.

I can assure you that nobody thinks that you are an idiot :slight_smile:

Thanks,

Simon