Join now - be part of our community!

Request for option to Autofocus After timer countdown.

profile.country.GB.title
tomzzlee
New

Request for option to Autofocus After timer countdown.

A request for the option to be able to auto focus after a self timer counts down, instead of on the half press of the button. This is a feature a lot of people who take self portraits and other style of photography could really benefit from, however I am yet to have seen it from any camera manufacturer.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @tomzzlee,

for timer-photos I generally use the manual focus.

Either I am taking group-photos where I can focus on one of the other subjects or I use it for photos where I want to ensure I don't bump the camera by pressing the shutter button - in that case I can manually focus on the subject before shooting the photo as well.

I though see why you would want such a feature.

- Nic

SimonJ88
New

I agree, this is a real pain. My Sony camera (A7III) has amazing face and eye detection... but you can't use it on yourself. AFC switches off in timer mode, I don't understand why that needs to be so, surely the timer doesn't use up all of the processing capacity of the camera?

Manual focus is all well and good as long as you are not trying to get sharp focus with shallow depth of field (it's a portrait, after all) - a few mm out can ruin the shot. I ended up resorting to using a radio trigger to get a half-decent passport photo the other day. It should have been a 2 minute job, not a half-hour faff with a camera of this spec.

Please Sony, sort this out.