Join now - be part of our community!

SEL-18200 Active mode stabilization?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
crosses
Visitor

SEL-18200 Active mode stabilization?

First, is the SEL-18200 the only lens for NEX with Active Steadyshot?

With NEX-VG10 you can set the Steadyshot to Active/Standard/Off, but not with NEX-3/5.

Does the Active mode only work with the VG cameras?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi crosses

I have asked this question in the past to one of the staff since I had the same enquiry. It is only when used in conjunction with that lens since due to its size, there is much more room in the barrel to compensate via the mechanical components but it only available on the VG. As for what exact reason, I am unsure but most likely power drain.

The other lenses from my experience hold their own very well with movement but when I go out filming with a NEX-5, I rather leave all the OSS features switched off and go down the route of a steadycam. Not saying they are for everyone but extends my battery life and get even more creative.

We may see it coming to more lenses since the NEX lens lineup is growing as we speak.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Watashiwateshdes
Contributor

Hi crosses

I have asked this question in the past to one of the staff since I had the same enquiry. It is only when used in conjunction with that lens since due to its size, there is much more room in the barrel to compensate via the mechanical components but it only available on the VG. As for what exact reason, I am unsure but most likely power drain.

The other lenses from my experience hold their own very well with movement but when I go out filming with a NEX-5, I rather leave all the OSS features switched off and go down the route of a steadycam. Not saying they are for everyone but extends my battery life and get even more creative.

We may see it coming to more lenses since the NEX lens lineup is growing as we speak.

crosses
Visitor

Thanks for the reply and clarification. Looking at the size of the new lenses it looks like no new lenses are  "Active" so earliest at 2013 I think. I haven't tried the 18200 but will by the hx9v to test the AMS.