Join now - be part of our community!

Service Centres Closed - Support refusing to offer grace on Warranty

profile.country.GB.title
Angelod001
Explorer

Service Centres Closed - Support refusing to offer grace on Warranty

Hi. I’m having what I can only describe as an infuriating experience with Sony’s warranty service. I got in touch with them anticipating there would be issues in relation to the COVID situation.

My A7iii warranty is up on the 7th of May. I have been informed by support that service centres are closed, phone lines are closed. The only people I can email are refusing to offer any resolution to the fact my warranty will likely have expired before I’m actually able to have my camera delivered to them. I’ve even offered to drop it off in person but they won’t let me do that either.

Can anybody in the community direct me to someone at Sony that can resolve this. Under the circumstances the responses I’ve had so far are frankly disgusting.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Angelod001
Explorer

So silence on this? Have I posted it in the right place? Does nobody from Sony have anything to say on the matter?

profile.country.GB.title
morphfromthenorth
Explorer

Well, you haven't actually said if your camera has a fault or not.

I sent off my A7m2 for repair to Pencoed just fine, so I don't understand what your problem is.

Just go through the 'Support' section on the Sony website, complete the field section for Model, Serial no. etc

Once submitted, you'll get an email with a pdf attached. Print off the PDF, put the postage label on the front and the rest in the box. It's pretty simple really.

I've never had a problem with Sony service in the past, I find them really efficient to deal with. just a matter of following the correct procedure.

Steve

profile.country.GB.title
Angelod001
Explorer

Yes the camera has an issue with the electronic shutter, although I thought it would be quite clear there was an issue that needed to be resolved given the nature of the post. Why else would I be sending it in Steve.

Everything you mentioned was done a couple of months ago, however I needed the camera for a handful of jobs pre pandemic and knew the mechanical shutter would suffice.  I since contacted them when the seriousness of the COVID situation was much more clear, to be told I could not send the camera in as the service centre was closed, and I was told to phone them, however the phone lines were down stating no time frame for when they would be back up (as they were closed).  

Upon getting these responses from Sony, it’s perfectly understandable that the service centre might be closed, but the obvious question was “will you extend my warranty (which expires May 7th) if you are still unable to accept a delivery, in the event that my warranty expires”. Sony refused to offer any clarity on this at all, suggesting I contact them again once the warranty was up, then they will make a decision.

Great to hear you’ve had positive dealings with them in the past, as have I. This however, I found unacceptable. Thanks for you condescending response though Steve, very useful.  I’ve exchanged 4 more emails since posting this and they have finally given me another address.