Join now - be part of our community!

Shutter release problem

profile.country.en_GB.title
Stuwar
Visitor

Shutter release problem

Now OK so hence not a question but will maybe help someone else.  Brand new NEX 5N with standard zoom kit.

1. Fitted battery and a 2 gig card and switched on.

2. Set date and time

3. Camera appeared to function OK except shutter would not fire.

4. Charged battery fully and re-tried from 2 above.  Same problem.

5. Formatted card.  and retried from 2.  Same problem.

6. Re-tried multiple times.

7. Following morning, switched on and yet again had to enter date and time.

8. Same problem, shutter not firing.

9. Switched off and back on again.

10. Fed up with setting date and time so pressed shutter.  It worked!

11. Set date and time.  Shutter still works.

I have no idea what was going on but it surely has to be a software issue!

Thrilled with the photos and the speed of operation.

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Thanks for sharing that Stuwar.

Glad you are enjoying the camera!!

:slight_smile:

ventus2cc
Visitor

Just bought camera yesterday and had the same problem. Shutter would not release. Thought it was memory card, but changed that and did not help, unscrewed lens en put it back on again, no help, in the end started working by itself in the evening. Had to input time/date as well whole the time untill it remembered it self.

Thought that it might be the internal battery. If that is drained it might take some time to recharge again.

At least mine is working now. Now just having issues updating firmware on my mac...

blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello ventus2cc :slight_smile:

Glad to hear that the issue may have rectified itself now.

What kind of issues have you been experiencing with firmware updates on your Mac i.e. is there an error code or any other specific info you can provide so I can look into this.

Thanks,

Simon

Ta1ch1
New

My new NEX 5N does not want to take any photos at all ?. I have charged and fitted the battery and a 16gig card. But whenever I try to take a phot the camera will not take one ?.

Has anyone else had this problem ?

If so what do I do next

plooph
Visitor

Hi,

This issue is likely due to the internal battery being three months+ without use and so flat. Just found in the manual at the back that if you cancel the set-the-date request at turn on (press button on top right of screen) the camera allows you to take photos but without the current date. Leaving the battery in the camera will charge the internal battery.

Message was edited by: plooph

Message was edited by: plooph

SivaB40
Visitor

Thank you Stuwar. Bought the 5N and had exactly the same issue.I was about to go back to the store and throw the damn thing in the face but thanks to you my blood pressure is coming down.

Passenger115
Visitor

I had the exactly same problem as Stuwar's. I did think about the possibility of flat internal battery (although the camera is brand new) and left the camera with the charged main battery in overnight, but it still refuse to work the follwing morning. I brought it to the store and the shop assitant accidentlly made it work (he didn't know how), but it's a worry if this is a general issue and we don't have an official explanation.

Does Sony have an official answer? If it's due to the internal battery needing to be charged, it's not a big deal. But if it's a problem that can happen again in the future and can't be resolved, I would return the camera as I only bought it 2 days ago.

Mick2011
New

Hi Passenger115, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

The chances are that the shop assistant did exactly as the OP in this thread: powered on, pressed the shutter and 'fixed' the date/time problem.

I have no idea if this is even a widespread problem and I'm not sure if Sony knows about it, but it does seem that once you do this it fixes the issue for good. Most likely a first-time setup glitch which you do get from time to time..

My advice would be to use the camera and, if the problem recurs, take it back to the shop. Otherwise just enjoy using it :cool:

Mick