Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A77 Memory Card Faults

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
6gunLover
Visitor

Sony A77 Memory Card Faults

Hi I have just purchased three new SDHC cards 8/16/32gb all are Sandisk 30mb+ Read/Write

My camera says that it can't read the card (on any SD Card) Yet it works with a basic 1gb Sony Pro Duo

card. Even done a firmware upgrade ro 1.5 but o no avail. Can someone please shed some light on this matter as my camera is only 1 week old as well?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

I'd definitely try formatting the cards as a first check. Then try a card reader and see if your PC can read them.

If not, there's a possibility you've been sold fake cards, although they often 'work' up to a point. Counterfeit cards are a huge problem, especially among online retailers.

What is odd here is that the camera will recognise your original 1Gb card. This strongly suggests there's nothing wrong with the camera.

If you want to check the cards yourself, have a look at the OCU wiki and this YouTube video which compares known genuine cards with proven fakes.

Let us know how you get on

Mick

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello 6gunLover - Welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

When the card is inserted in the camera for the first time, are you able to format the card using the Format option in the Options Menu? If this isn't working either, I would advise trying another brand of SD card (perhaps in a local photography store to save the extra hassle of trying to get hold of various media) and if it literally will not read any type of SD card whatsoever, this may indicate an internal fault within the camera.

If the latter is true, Sony Customer Services can be contacted using the details in this forum thread:

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/651957#651957

Thanks,

Simon

Mick2011
New

I'd definitely try formatting the cards as a first check. Then try a card reader and see if your PC can read them.

If not, there's a possibility you've been sold fake cards, although they often 'work' up to a point. Counterfeit cards are a huge problem, especially among online retailers.

What is odd here is that the camera will recognise your original 1Gb card. This strongly suggests there's nothing wrong with the camera.

If you want to check the cards yourself, have a look at the OCU wiki and this YouTube video which compares known genuine cards with proven fakes.

Let us know how you get on

Mick

shazkhan2
Visitor

Hi Mick

On my Sony Nex-5 memory card i cannot see my videos when connected to a laptop while the still downloads fine. They are there when the card is in camera but shows no movies when connected to computer. What could be the reason? The card is genuine as i had it with the camera from a known retailer.

Thanks.

Shaz.

Mick2011
New

Hi Shaz, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

Stills are often visible in your computer's file browser whichever way you download them, but your NEX-5 videos will be in AVCHD format, which creates a number of files not immediately readable by the computer. I need to ask you some questions before I can help:

Which image browser are you using?

Are you using a Mac?

If PC, which OS is it running (Vista, XP, Windows 7, 64bit or 32bit?)

Cheers

Mick