Join now - be part of our community!

Sony A6600 - bad camera or memory cards?

profile.country.RO.title
Antares_DC
New

Sony A6600 - bad camera or memory cards?

Hello,

I recently bought a Sony A6600 camera with sel18-135 lens as a kit.

In more than a few occasions, I noticed that the camera produced bad/corrupt photos in jpeg mode - I am attaching just one of those weird results.

I am using two cards - a Kingston React Canvas 256 GB and a SandDisxk Extreme Pro 128 GB, both are high speed SD cards. I also posted a thread here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63694150

But after trying another card, the SanDisk, even if the number of the bad images dropped down, they still appear.

Any idea? Request for a service check on the warranty or just try another SD card?

Thanks,

AZBad1.jpgDSC01234.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Antares_DC,

how do you tra sfer the photos to your computer?

To me the photos look like a broken card reader or bad cable used for transferring the photos.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
Antares_DC
New

Hi Nic, 

Thanks for the reply. I usually use a card reader USB 3.1. If I remember right, the photos looked corrupted in the camera, but to make sure, I will take like another bunch of them and check. With one of the cards, the rate is about 3 to 4 bad pics to around 175 pics taken. Will do that and return with the findings.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Antares_DC,

thanks for checking once more. I personally have not seen that happen in-camera - as stated above I only ever had comparibly corrupted images when my card readers were dying.

If it though happens in-camera we need to check further.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
Antares_DC
New

I shot 480 pictures and then I checked each one in the camera, and none were corrupted. I then transferred all of them into my computer, using the card reader. Upon checking them in the folder, I immediately spotted 3 that were corrupted just as before.

I put the card back into the camera and double checked those specific 3 images, which in the camera, looked perfectly fine!

So it was the card reader, just as you implied the first time. Thank you for such great troubleshooting! I'm glad the camera's fine as this is not a good time to send it to service.

Thank you once again.

Best regards,

Andrei