Join now - be part of our community!

Sony Alpha "A300K" is there going to be a firmware update to allow Video recording

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Sony Alpha "A300K" is there going to be a firmware update to allow Video recording

When I bought this Camera I was "trading up" from a point and shoot 5mp pocket snapper, and at the time, the facility to record video wassomething one just had to forgo in the quest for photographic perfection!

I didn't see why this was necessary at the time, but since there were no DSLR's which incorporated this feature, one just accepted it as fact....."DSLR's don't do video"

"Tempus" has "Fugited" somewhat since then, and I now feel justified in asking the question....Why?

Surely is is possible to issue a firmware update to enable this.

Message was edited by: theracles

Message was edited by: theracles

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello theracles :slight_smile:

It is very unlikely that there will be a firmware update to enable video on the A300K in the future as this particular SLR has now been discontinued. It's the very nature of technology that SLR (and now, SLT) cameras will be developed with new features such as HD video recording first and foremost as opposed to adding features onto existing models. When a new camera is released, the majority of firmware updates happen in the following months based upon user feedback and to iron out any 'teething' issues.

Thanks,

Simon

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
blaireau_photo
Visitor

Hello theracles :slight_smile:

It is very unlikely that there will be a firmware update to enable video on the A300K in the future as this particular SLR has now been discontinued. It's the very nature of technology that SLR (and now, SLT) cameras will be developed with new features such as HD video recording first and foremost as opposed to adding features onto existing models. When a new camera is released, the majority of firmware updates happen in the following months based upon user feedback and to iron out any 'teething' issues.

Thanks,

Simon

profile.country.GB.title
theracles

Thanks Blaireau_photo, Knew I should have saved a little longer and gone for the canon! 😞

gimp69
Visitor

That's like asking why your DVD player can't be upgraded to make it a Bluray player.  There is more to making a dSLR capable of recording video that simply applying new firmware.

If you want to go with Canon or Nikon and have tediously slow video auto-focus, then good luck!  You'll be manually focussing because auto-focus is so s-l-o-w on canikons, something they neglect to put in the brochure and the fan-boys fail to point out too.

It's because the mirror has to constanty flip out of the way when recording video.  What you should be doing is looking at the Sony A35/55/65/77 dSLT.  They have a fixed translucent mirror so offer very quick video auto-focus.

Message was edited by: gimp69

Message was edited by: gimp69