Join now - be part of our community!

SteadyShot vibration in SEL18200LE on A6500

IanMacey
Explorer

SteadyShot vibration in SEL18200LE on A6500

With SteadyShot ON,when the shutter button is half pressed, I sometimes get a high pitched metallic whine from the SEL18200LE and the picture in the monitor/viewfinder vibrates and jumps around (more noticable at longer focal lengths).

I can get this to happen when in manual focus, so the autofocus doesn't seem to be the cause. Once the lens starts doing this you can stop it by turning SteadyShot OFF, but it will recur as soon as you turn it back ON. The only way to really stop the vibration is to reset/park the lens mechanism by powering the camera off and back on.

I returned one SEL18200LE with this problem but it's replacement behaves the same, suggesting the issue is with all SEL18200LE (Ver. 02) on A6500 (Ver. 1.00).

Has anyone else seen this problem / know anything?

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.CZ.title
bipedbones
New

Hello, finally I got my set back from service centre and after some testing outdoors it seems to be working fine. Serial number of the lens and the body remained same but when I asked for the details, they told me the problem was in lens so they gave me new unit and switched the label only.

profile.country.GB.title
Ian.Macey
Explorer

That sounds right, the repair is to replace the lens block which is pretty much everything but the case.

This is my protocol to test for the problem: (1) Attach lens to camera body and ensure SteadyShot is ON. (2) Remove lens cap and extend lens to full 200mm focal length. (3) Point at subject, half press the shutter button to engage OSS and hold for 10 seconds. (4) If no vibration occurs, power the camera off and on again, then return to step 3. Vibration will usually occur within 10 attempts.

If you can get to 10 attempts without vibration, I'd be optimistic that it's fixed. 

profile.country.GB.title
jimmysmithson
Explorer

Well here is another one joining the club.

I've just purchased the A6400 and the SEL18200LE and I'm having the same issue my serial number is much higher surely after all this time Sony should have fixed this issue.

profile.country.GB.title
andrewwrichards
New

Yup, another one - this with an A6300.   Lense serial number 2033431 bought off Amazon less than 12 months ago, so am returning to Sony for repair.  Fingers crossed.  

profile.country.AU.title
glen.turvey
Explorer

This issue is still ongoing.  Purchased SEL18200LE in Australia a few years back to use with my a6000, within 3 months had on-and-off issues with OSS noise, wobble, and non-function.  The symptoms deteriorated/increased until eventually OSS stopped altogether.

Sony agreed to review under warranty and said it was the lens hardware that had failed, and the whole lens was replaced directly from Sony.  Interestingly, it had the same serial as the first one, despite being entirely new.  Perhaps that's how they track warranty replacements?  But seamed odd to me.

Within 12 months, the second lens also failed in exactly the same manner.  Sony have reviewed and agree the OSS has failed again.  For the life of me I can't get them to say what's wrong exactly, if it's a design issue, fatigue of some sort, or how likely it is to happen in the future.

I'm now in discussions with Sony about getting an entirely different lens, even if I put in some extra cash and upgrade.  I've clearly had enough of trying this one, and in my case, I only use this lens for it's longer range, so the new SEL70350G my suit me better - and be more reliable!

profile.country.GB.title
Ian.Macey
Explorer

A couple of people have said they were told they'd get a 'new lens' but received one back with the same serial number. Supposedly they 'repair' it by replacing the whole lens block, which is pretty much everything but the case.

profile.country.AU.title
glen.turvey
Explorer

I've been trying to have a meaningful conversation with Sony about this issue.  But they seem to be taking a corporate line that there is no "issue" as such, just bad luck on the part of a few individuals.  I suspect the issue is much broader than that, given that most people don't report these issues, some wouldn't even notice (if the OSS failed) and some just don't use it.

Communication isn't helped by the fact that I'm talking with Sony's approved repairer, rather than Sony themselves.  That being said, the repairer is at least camera-savvy, where as Sony customer service sometimes struggle to understand a very clear description of a camera-related issue. 

Has anyone found a solution other than continually getting warranty replacements until the issue goes away?

Does the issue go away if you get enough replacements?

I'm still waiting for Sony to comment on my request to discard my SEL18200LE, let me pay a bit extra, and send me an SEL70350G instead.  Fingers crossed...

profile.country.GB.title
jimmysmithson
Explorer

What really peed me off when I tried to get a refund from Jessops was that they would not listen to me when I told them my lens had this issue, I pointed them to this topic and still they ignored me I will never purchase a single thing from that shop ever again. The way I was treated by the shop staff and the way online support handled the situation was disgusting. I was still in my rights and in the time for a full refund but they still refused to refund me any money. I also asked them for the engineer report from Sony which Sony said I was entitled to but they just ignored my emails and phone call completely when I asked for it.

The lens was purchased with their recommendation because of the focal length I needed at the time, I was going to buy the 6400/18-135 lens which at the time was £200 cheaper but went with their recommendation costing me £200 more. When I took the lens back after a 7 days 3 days usage I spent 3 hours in the shop trying to explain the issue but because they couldn't replicate it I asked for a refund or a swap for the 18-135 and to refund the difference but was told because it was a package they couldn't do this!!! I should have just asked for a refund for the whole lot but just wanted to get out of there. In the end the manager just said swap the lens for the 18-135 so I did but was left £200 out of pocket because of their ignorance on not being able to replicate the issue I was seeing on the lens when using it outside and they were testing it inside the shop. I would also like to say the issue wasn't there all the time probably for the 1st 20mins when shooting then it would stop but this wasn't a good thing when I only had it for 7 days and used it for 3 of those days.

profile.country.GB.title
Ian.Macey
Explorer

I've gone through 3 copies of the lens, all had the problem. 

The first lens was replaced by the store I'd bought it from (not Jessops - jimmysmithson). With the second lens the store weren't prepared to replace it again, so made me send it to Sony for repair. They were going to do the 'replace the lens block but keep the case & serial number' repair, but ran out of spares (wonder why!) so kept my lens and authorised the store to give me a third new one.

You can't have three copies of a lens with the same problem and believe that it's 'just bad luck'. There's clearly a real issue here. But most casual users probably don't realise it. I suspect it's not just the lens, rather a combination of the body and the lens. Try your lens on another body, I did that once and couldn't get the problem.

It's a relatively slow lens anyway, I find it's mostly used in good light when you can get away with keeping OSS off. Or, if you can afford to miss a shot and have to restart, keep OSS on and see how your luck holds!

profile.country.AU.title
glen.turvey
Explorer

Well good news in my case; Sony approved a deal whereby they send me an SEL70350G and I contributed a smidge under ¼ of the new price for that lens.  I'm disappointed that the 18-200 isn't a reliable option as a travel lens, but I'm totally happy with the outcome. 

This only works for me because I primarily used the 18-200 at it's longer range.  I already carry 10-18, and 16-70 for the wide and mid ranges.

I'm sure Sony would treat each warranty claim case-by-case, but for those who are stuck with their second or third SEL18200LE, it shows that they are willing to consider transitioning you into a different (and more reliable) lens.

Best of luck everyone, and many thanks for this thread!  Knowing I wasn't the only one helped guide my decision making when dealing with Sony, and ultimately opting out of SEL18200LE all together.