Join now - be part of our community!

transfering 8mm video cassettes onto mac help

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
sharoon777
Visitor

transfering 8mm video cassettes onto mac help

can anybody advise if i can use a sony DCR-TRV 230E HI8 8MM camcorder to play my old  8mm video cassettes and put onto an apple mac.If not which camcorder can i use which i would be able to pick up for a fair price as i dont need a new video camcorder as i already have one i just need something to use to put onto computer thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Here is the manual for the TRV 230E camcorder family.  Have a good read from Page 84:  -

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3065263121.pdf

It looks to me like the TRV230E will do the job as it has DV-Out (Firewire 400/iLink) port to send a digital signal to your Mac - provided your Mac has a firewire/iLink/DV input - which should be picked up by iMovie.

The DV socket on the TRV230E is OUT only - the TRV330E has DV IN and OUT and would allow you to copy edited movies back to tape.  You probably don't need this but if you can find a TRV330E it may be more flexible as a signal converter of other analogue video.

Many Macs have the larger Firewire 800 input - so make sure you get the right cable.(Firewire 800 to 400 probably).

:thinking:

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Here is the manual for the TRV 230E camcorder family.  Have a good read from Page 84:  -

http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3065263121.pdf

It looks to me like the TRV230E will do the job as it has DV-Out (Firewire 400/iLink) port to send a digital signal to your Mac - provided your Mac has a firewire/iLink/DV input - which should be picked up by iMovie.

The DV socket on the TRV230E is OUT only - the TRV330E has DV IN and OUT and would allow you to copy edited movies back to tape.  You probably don't need this but if you can find a TRV330E it may be more flexible as a signal converter of other analogue video.

Many Macs have the larger Firewire 800 input - so make sure you get the right cable.(Firewire 800 to 400 probably).

:thinking: