Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot back up from PMB??

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
cscore
Visitor

Cannot back up from PMB??

Hello I am wondering if someone out there can finally help me!! getting through to Sony is near on impossible!

I have a Sony HDR-CX130E video camera which we purchased for the arrival of our baby. We have managed to install the PMB program we were provided with and can import and watch all our precious videos on our laptop. However, naturally i want to back these HD videos up. I bought an external hard drive (1TB) which we were recommended as this would hold lots of videos.

The problem is the videos don't play from the hard drive on the computer. I arranged all the videos in to files according to the month they were shot and when i plugged the harddrive in to show someone the files had disappeared and the videos didn't play.

The videos are saved as the "little traffic cone" icons.

I have read online that Sony are a buggar for this and you need to convert the files first???

Please, if anyone could help i would be much appreciative. The camera is full and i don't want to delete anything.

If you need anymore information from me, i am here and will respond!!! I am desperate- even PC world were crap!

Thanks

Message was edited by: cscore

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mick2011
New

Hi cscore, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If you've exported the videos from PMB you should be able to play them in any video player, although some may be 'fussy' about the format. It sounds as if yours should play back using VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html as the traffic cone icon is usually a VLC one.

If you simply copied over the files from the camera to the external drive you may be missing some files that are needed to edit and export in PMB. For archiving purposes it is possible make an exact copy of the camera's file structure, but often it's best (and easiest) to export from PMB to a format (eg. MP4 or AVI) that will play on almost any device.

Cheers

Mick

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Mick2011
New

Hi cscore, welcome to the Sony Forums :slight_smile:

If you've exported the videos from PMB you should be able to play them in any video player, although some may be 'fussy' about the format. It sounds as if yours should play back using VLC http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html as the traffic cone icon is usually a VLC one.

If you simply copied over the files from the camera to the external drive you may be missing some files that are needed to edit and export in PMB. For archiving purposes it is possible make an exact copy of the camera's file structure, but often it's best (and easiest) to export from PMB to a format (eg. MP4 or AVI) that will play on almost any device.

Cheers

Mick