Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-PC5E no video output

profile.country.GB.title
liurenzo
Explorer

DCR-PC5E no video output

Hi everyone,

I have an old DCR-PC5E handycam in pretty good conditions. Works fine, records fine, everything seems to be good.

But whenever I try to output the video, it won't work:

- if I try to connect it to my laptop (macbook pro early 2013) with a mini-dv cable, Premiere Pro won't even see the camera. 

- if I try to connect it to a TV using an a/v cable, both L and R audio will work but no video.

- with an a/v cable connected to a usb EasyCAP and using Quicktime "record video" function, I can hear the audio but no video.

Am I missing something? I thought about a malfunctioning port but both mini-dv and a/v seem to have problems outputting the video channel. I tried to look up at the manual but the only troubleshooting I found told me to set DISPLAY on LCD, but that didn't change anything.

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius
profile.country.GB.title
liurenzo
Explorer

@Marino.Manolo wrote:

Try also iMovie:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-pc5e/articles/00173003

Manolo

Hi Manolo, don't know about iMovie, but I have Final Cut and it doesn't work there either.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

Forgive me if I write this, I suggested iMovie because the links are the steps you can follow, we do not know each other and I'm just doubting how you think that Premiere Pro and Final Cut should behave. Windows when I connect a device creates a comic and is detectable, for these software in macOS instead you need to follow a path from MENU to capture audio and video from a Mini DV.

Manolo

profile.country.GB.title
liurenzo
Explorer

No no don't worry, I understood what you mean!

I think I'm pretty confident about using Premiere Pro and Final Cut, I just really don't understand why they won't detect the camera, no matter what I do. And what really troubles me is that I can't even see an image when I connect the handycam to a TV using a simple a/v cable.

Why doesn't the video channel want to get out of there?

ps. se hai idee più precise mandami pure un messaggio privato in italiano!