profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

Very quiet audio ' beep' under voice recording

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

(Did not give me a chance to write a message - strange forum).

Anyway. My PJ740 has started to make and record a very quiet but audible sort of beep or buzz, (neither word is quite right), which I could hear in the cans when filming and is on the track in the edit.

It's continuous, on-off - a sort of tiny didgital blip about once every second. 

Anyone know what this is and what can be done?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @tobliss,

maybe it is interferencen from a cellphone sending or receiving data?

Could you upload an example to YouTube?

- Nic

profile.country.GB.title
tobliss
Explorer

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the thought. This is nothing like the rapid bip of a phone signal.

I always wear cans in case of phone signals, and did in fact ask the four people on the location to check that they were all in flight mode as soon as I noticed it - but it did not stop.  I shot in two houses, and only noticed it on the second day. Now in the edit I find it was on the first day too, but not in the first interviews. It seems to have been getting louder through the two hours I spent shooting, which is why I suspect the camera. 

I'm putting music on anyway so I think it will be ok on this show, but I'm hoping it doesn not mean the camera is going down. I'm right up against it for time on this one, but I'll upload a clip when I get a bit of spare head space. 

35 years and a director including a stint on docs sound and I've never encountered it before.

Cheers

Tom