Join now - be part of our community!

DCR-TRV80E > Sony Vaio Video Capture problem

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

DCR-TRV80E > Sony Vaio Video Capture problem

Im having a problem with capturing video from a DCR-TRV80E to a Sony Vaio laptop via i-link. Both devices have i-link port and I have them connected via a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. The DCR-TRV80E appears ok in Devices and printers and the import video prompt appears when I turn the camera to VCR.

Sony1.PNG
I get prompted to enter the name of the video and can select the "import entire video" or "choose parts of video" radio button

Sony2.PNG

but when I click next I get this.....
Sony3.PNG

Soon as I click ok, up pops the autoplay > import video prompt again and same thing happens all over again.

Anyone have any clue where the problem might be?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

Just to update. I downloaded and installed Sony Play Memories and haivng done that now Video Capture is working without connectivity issues even outside PlayMemories. Windows Movie Maker and the custom software I wanted to use is also now able to capture when before it couldnt so it looks like I needed something that was installed in the Play Memories installation to make this work properly.

Many thanks for all the help.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

Just a little further information which might help. I noticed that when I click next in the import video box, just before the failure message comes up the VCR starts playing so the software is definitely controlling the camera its just the moment the camera starts to play, up pops the disconnected message.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @m60vxr,

well, I might not be able to help you with the software which you're using but maybe this recommendation is uselful:

Ever since I've been using ScenalyzerLive for transferring videos from my old TRV310. The programme was discontinued 2010 and is freeware since then (key included in the download). It's still working on my Win 10 64bit system. No need to install. Simply unzip and run the executable. You'll only need to enter the license key which you'll find in the text file (either when prompted or somewhere in the menue). That little programme is still doing a great job on my PC.

By the way: Which video editing software are you using? Maybe that one can do the same for you but you simply haven't realised yet?

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

Hi Darkframe,

Thankyou for your suggestion. Unfortunately this desnt appear to be a problem with the capture software as I have tried several and the same problem is present in all, albeit showing in different ways. It appears that the system intermittently loses connectivity with the DCR-TRV80E.

I have since noticed that if I open Devices and Printers I can see the DCR-TRV80E present but it only stays for about 30-60 second then there is a ping and it disappears then about 30-60 seconds later theres another ping and it reappears so it look like intermittent connectivity is the issue. I dont know if this is a camera, driver, lead, port or PC issue but I intend to start by replacing the lead first as this is probably the cheapest option and going from there. Unfortunately I dont have another Camera or PC that I can use to try and eliminate further so not sure where I'll go from here if the lead doesnt fix it.

Thanks again for you help and if anyone else can think whats likely to be the issue that would be helpful.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

What version of Windows are you running on your PC? You may need the legacy iLink driver if using Win 7.

Have you tried using Sony’s PlayMemories to import the video? If not instructions and download are available here:-

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/camcorders-tape-camcorders/dcr-trv80e/articles/00172974

profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

Hi Blencogo,

Thanks for your suggestion and yes sorry I should have said, its Windows 7.

Yes I followed the instructions from the Sony site to use the legacy driver before I started.

I have not tried the Sony play memories software because having already used several different softwares and having the same issue as well as noticing that the Player is appearing and disappearing from devices and printers every 30-90 seconds Im pretty sure this is a connectivity issue but I will try all the same just to be sure.

profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

Just to update. I downloaded and installed Sony Play Memories and haivng done that now Video Capture is working without connectivity issues even outside PlayMemories. Windows Movie Maker and the custom software I wanted to use is also now able to capture when before it couldnt so it looks like I needed something that was installed in the Play Memories installation to make this work properly.

Many thanks for all the help.

profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

Arghhhh! Seem I was premature. Connectivity issues back again. It worked for a while but the camera is appearing and disappearing again from devices. I think it was coincidence and I must have had a good position of the PC lead and camera when it was working and having picked up the camera to change tapes the problem is back.

Ive wiggled the lead gently at the PC end and the camera end and it seems to lose/gain coneectivity worse at the camera end so Im leaning towards the i-link socket on the camera being the problem which is not good as thats going to be the most expensive to replace.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @m60vxr,

well, maybe only the contacts of the cable and/or of the camera's socket are a bit dirty or corroded. In that case some careful cleaning using a small cotton bud/strip with a drip of isopropanol might help. You could as well use contact spray but need to take care that you don't flood the camera.

Oh well, of course it maybe the cable itself causing trouble. However, as it's working every once in a while I rather doubt it.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.GB.title
m60vxr
Explorer

Hi Darkframe,

Already ordered a new cable as that was a cheaper option so I'll update the thread as soon as it arrives.

If that doesnt work I'll grab some isopropyl alcohol and give that a spin.