Delete files from HDR-CX 450

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @vaffabz,

@vaffabz  wrote:

Formating the memory card on the camera seems to be the best way to do this. But how can that be done from my computer while connected to the camera? I don´t want to take the memorycard out of the camera. Or is there a way on the display of the camera to delete ALL, not file by file?

Well, as Nic said, the only way to delete files from the card while it is IN the camera is by means of a PC using PlayMemories Home (or Imaging Edge, which is the replacement for PlayMemories Home, looks the same though). However I had trouble myself when trying that. Sometimes the programme was complaining about not having write access to the camera and sometimes the camera's database was corrupt thereafter. Therefore I'm normally taking the card out of the camera, copy all stills/movies and finally let the camera format the card.

Therefore I'd say that the easiest way for you would be to simply format the card by means of the camera. That's almost like "mark all" and delete, additionally IMHO it's the fastest and safest way anyhow and allows you to start over with a clean card with a new and empty database.

A "mark all" followed by "delete" would mean to erase files subsequently plus altering the camera's database after each single deletion. That would certainly last longer than a "format" as changes would have to be made for each single file being deleted. Formatting fulfills that task in one rush.

Here's some kind of short but not fully correct explanation (from a technological point of view):

Each deletion of a file results in quite some file operations (adjust file directory (open file directory, delete file entry, write back file directory), adjust database (open it, adjust entries, write back), unblock storage cells for the system (open "internal cell storage list", adjust it, write back). Obviously that would finally result in lots of read/write operations which will need their time.

Formatting a card does not mean writing "Zeros" to each cell but simply clearing the main file directory, unblocking all cells, writing a few folder entries and a new and empty database file. This can be done with way less file operations than described above, hence it's the faster possibility.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @vaffabz,

you can delete files from the camera if you open the playback menu on the camcorder - there you can play back recorded clips and also delete them individually.

Additionally you can format the memory card to delete ALL videoclips and photos currently on the card.

Another way is to take the card out of your camcorder, insert it into a cardreader on you PC/MAC and delete the files that way.

- Nic

profile.country.SE.title
vaffabz
Explorer

Hi, many thanks for tips. I usually copy all files from the camera to my computer and after that is done I want to delete all the files from the camera. Formating the memory card on the camera seems to be the best way to do this. But how can that be done from my computer while connected to the camera? I don´t want to take the memorycard out of the camera. Or is there a way on the display of the camera to delete ALL, not file by file?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @vaffabz,

I would recommend to use PlayMemories Home from Sony to import your videos to your PC/MAC - it has a setting to "import to PC & delete from camera" which is exactly what you are looking for.

- Nic

profile.country.SE.title
vaffabz
Explorer

Thank you for your tip. But I would like to avoid installing Play Memories Home since I have no use of its many functions. I create my films using Corel Video Pro. I´m searching for a simple way of deleting the files from the camera.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @vaffabz,

you don't need to use the other functions :thinking:

I would understand this if it would cost money and you would need to buy it for just that one function, yet it is free, so what gives if it has features you don't need? 

The files one the card are "protected" as long as the card is inside the camera, this is there to prevent computers from deleting files from the card if they are set up in a way, that storage media which is connected gets formatted.

The only program to my knowledge which can bypass this protection is PlayMemories Home - and it only deletes after a successfull import of the files.

- Nic

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @vaffabz,

@vaffabz  wrote:

Formating the memory card on the camera seems to be the best way to do this. But how can that be done from my computer while connected to the camera? I don´t want to take the memorycard out of the camera. Or is there a way on the display of the camera to delete ALL, not file by file?

Well, as Nic said, the only way to delete files from the card while it is IN the camera is by means of a PC using PlayMemories Home (or Imaging Edge, which is the replacement for PlayMemories Home, looks the same though). However I had trouble myself when trying that. Sometimes the programme was complaining about not having write access to the camera and sometimes the camera's database was corrupt thereafter. Therefore I'm normally taking the card out of the camera, copy all stills/movies and finally let the camera format the card.

Therefore I'd say that the easiest way for you would be to simply format the card by means of the camera. That's almost like "mark all" and delete, additionally IMHO it's the fastest and safest way anyhow and allows you to start over with a clean card with a new and empty database.

A "mark all" followed by "delete" would mean to erase files subsequently plus altering the camera's database after each single deletion. That would certainly last longer than a "format" as changes would have to be made for each single file being deleted. Formatting fulfills that task in one rush.

Here's some kind of short but not fully correct explanation (from a technological point of view):

Each deletion of a file results in quite some file operations (adjust file directory (open file directory, delete file entry, write back file directory), adjust database (open it, adjust entries, write back), unblock storage cells for the system (open "internal cell storage list", adjust it, write back). Obviously that would finally result in lots of read/write operations which will need their time.

Formatting a card does not mean writing "Zeros" to each cell but simply clearing the main file directory, unblocking all cells, writing a few folder entries and a new and empty database file. This can be done with way less file operations than described above, hence it's the faster possibility.

Cheers

darkframe

Wo kämen wir hin, wenn jeder sagte, wo kämen wir hin und keiner ginge, um zu sehen, wohin wir kämen, wenn wir gingen... (© by Kurt Marti)
profile.country.SE.title
vaffabz
Explorer

Many thanks to you all for good advices. I just want to share with you and others my way of handling this question without removing the memorycard or use a cardreader.
1. I copy all my files from F:Private\AVCHD\BDMV\Stream to my computer. I can chose any folder(s) I want for the files. I later use Corel Video Pro to create my movie.
2. On the display of the camera I chose "Edit/copy"
3. I chose delete "all in event". An "event" containes all files created a certain day. Since I concentrate my filming to certain days i don´t create to many "events". So the deleting process goes rather quick.
4. When all files are deleted the choise "format" appears and I go on formating my memorycard. A new database is created and the camera is ready for new scenes.

profile.country.DE.title
darkframe
Expert

Hi @vaffabz,

thanks a lot for sharing your way of handling this!

Cheers

darkframe