Join now - be part of our community!

FDR-AX53 shooting interlaced when set to progressive

SOLVED
profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

FDR-AX53 shooting interlaced when set to progressive

Hello,

My FDR-AX53 camera reset by itself one day, and now I can't make it shoot it 1080/25p AVCHD. I tried resetting again, changing some other settings, going to 50p (which works) and back to 25p, but the videos I get are 25i instead of 25p, which is more than annoying (who shoots in 25i anymore, not a top of the line camcorder certainly).

Has anyone encountered this problem, is there a solution?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

You are actually right, the problem is in the latest version of Premiere Pro and not the camera. I just linked the problem with the self-reset reported to me by the person filming several weeks ago, which, after further inquiries, proved to be just a more or less accidental change of shooting mode, and not with the Premiere Pro update that happened a little later.

Now I checked with a friend that has 2 machines, one with the latest version of PP and one with an earlier one, and he confirmed that the issue manifests only on the machine with the latest version.

What is weird is that MediaInfo started reporting erroneously too, which means that either the PP update messed something system-wide, or that MediaInfo somehow uses a PP library.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius

If I'm not mistaken the 25p you only have them in XAVC S HD:

https://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1630/v1/en/contents/TP0000946132.html

Manolo

profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

That page does not list all the frame rates, just expected recording times.

I have the option to set framerate to 25p in AVCHD mode, and it used to work. It only stopped working since the camera reset by itself.

profile.country.IT.title
Marino.Manolo
Genius
profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

Actually, since you brought it up, the camera is outputting files in a mode it doesn't support (1080/25i), so this is definitely a fault. I'm not sure if the files have really been shot interlaced, or just incorrectly marked as interlaced, although the content is shot as progressive, but it's really messing up my workflow.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Filminator,

please ensure you have actually confirmed and not just clicked the setting on the camera.

Most people on the Sony community which had a similar issue thought they had confirmed the switch to a progressive format, yet they didn't click the little arrow in the lower right corner to confirm the switch.

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

First of all: yes, I ensured I "have actually confirmed and not just clicked the setting on the camera". The menu says clearly "Frame Rate 25p".

Secondly, as I already pointed but you probably didn't bother reading, there is no 25i mode on this camera, so no matter if I confirmed or not, the camera should not output 25i video.

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Filminator,

so where do you get the interlaced reading from then?

Did you right click the file on your computer and then open the tab "details"?

- Nic

profile.country.RO.title
Filminator

Does it really matter?

Both Premiere Pro and MediaInfo say the files are 25i, is that enough?

profile.country.DE.title
IamNic
Expert

Hello @Filminator,

@Filminator  schrieb:

Does it really matter?

to me it matters, yes.

Please open the detail tab and take a screenshot of the "video" values.

- Nic